PDA

View Full Version : Haven't done an HST excerpt in a while....

Good Doctor HST
01-13-2007, 02:15 PM
I haven't done one of these in a while. Just rereading one of Hunter's last books (Hey Rube), and came across this tidbit, from the Author's Note:

It was spurred on by my just finding out about attacks on Iranians and their embassy in Iraq (at the request of our Chief) right here on yourbbsucks.

"Pearl Harbor was 60 years ago, long before we had TV and computers to keep us totally informed. When half the U.S. Navy was destroyed by Japanese bombs, at least we knew who did it and where they lived, and that news was spread all over the world in a matter of minutes, with eyewitness accounts and photos of burning battleships.

What has gone wrong with our communication system since then? Why are we more ignorant and less informed today than we were in 1941?

That is an eerie question, eh?

You bet it is. If World War III can start in a vacuum of silence and stonewalling by the White House, we are doomed like rats in a maze of fear. We are slaves to mendacity and hostile disinformation. Bread and circuses were not enough to sustain the Roman Empire and they will not be enough for the United States of America."

AuGmENTor
01-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanx for this, man. I always like a bit MORE depression on a rainy saturday. You made the leap between just sitting on the couch, as opposed to shoving my head in the oven.