PDA

View Full Version : Watch Jon Stewart Blast Crossfire - Must Watch

Gold9472
04-20-2005, 09:07 PM
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12&htv=12

One of the best things I've ever seen...

pcteaser
04-21-2005, 01:06 AM
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2652831?htv=12&htv=12

One of the best things I've ever seen...

Priceless...

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
bump

PhilosophyGenius
11-15-2005, 05:36 PM
Man I was pissed off when I saw that. Crossfire was one of my favorite shows and Stewart, who was obviously invited to make jokes, bashed there show just because they have debates. This from a guy who had John Kerry on his show and gave him the softest ball questions out there. That's why politicans love Stewart, because they'll automatically look good.

It also showed how unfunny Stewart is without prewritten jokes, and when Carlson mentioned that, Stewart called him a dick. What a fucking prick that guy is!

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 05:56 PM
Then, as last night, you didn't understand the context of what he was trying to do. As I said you shouldn't watch Fox because they are a propaganda network for the President, CNN is just as bad with their news, and John was trying to point that out... "You're hurting the country", etc... that's what he meant. And he was 100% right. Here's a good gauge for you to go by. If Gold9472 no longer has to post the news, then you know the "news" is doing their job.

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 07:39 PM
How is Fox News propaganda for the president when they make specials on global warming?

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
How is Fox News propaganda for the president when they make specials on global warming?

You need to start doing some of your own research. We don't say these things because we're fanatical lunatics.

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I'm just asking. Why do you think Fox had a special on Global warming? Sure, they're right wing to a fault, I just don't think they're 100% behind Bush. Very few conservatives anywhere are.

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Go rent "Outfoxed"

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Didn't you post a video of that here a while ago? At the time, I could watch video here, and I watched the first half. I agree that Fox News is right winged biased, and goes by the politics of Ruppert Murdock. CNN is liberal (though avoids the big stuff like you have here), and MSNBC, as far as I'm concerned, is entertainment, not news.

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 08:00 PM
Ok... do you see a problem with being told "Half-Truths", and "Non-Truths"?

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes, on all sides. There is a reason I despise just about anyone who bases their career on politics.

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
I take everything I hear on tv with a grain of salt, no matter what the source.

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Well that's what the media does... and they repeat it over and over and over again until you believe it.

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 08:05 PM
I only watch tv news for entertainment anymore. I don't believe what O'Rielly or Hannity or anyone else on the news says just as I don't believe antioxidants help you lose weight (something I saw last night in a commercial).

Gold9472
11-15-2005, 08:06 PM
Well... not only does Fox tell "Half-Truths", and "Non-Truths", they promote the policy of a fascist President.

jetsetlemming
11-15-2005, 08:15 PM
The president isn't the only fascist in town.

aceace
11-16-2005, 12:10 AM
Jon Stewart is really good tonight 11/15

PhilosophyGenius
11-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Then, as last night, you didn't understand the context of what he was trying to do. As I said you shouldn't watch Fox because they are a propaganda network for the President, CNN is just as bad with their news, and John was trying to point that out... "You're hurting the country", etc... that's what he meant. And he was 100% right. Here's a good gauge for you to go by. If Gold9472 no longer has to post the news, then you know the "news" is doing their job.

That's not why he did that. He did that because he thinks punditry is bad for the country. Even on his show he spoofed Hannity & Colmes because they had heated debates. And after Stewart made that remark showing what a jerk-off he is, Carlson pointed out that he gave Kerry soft ball questions and how unfunny he is without a script. Stewert even tried to make jokes but they were freakin horrible.

Bottom line: Jon Stewart = Duece Bag

Uber Commandante
11-16-2005, 10:50 AM
One of the things you see on 'outfoxed' is how white house 'talking points' are distributed to right wing media, where they are repeated ad infinitum almost word for word. You hear the WH press secretary say something, and then you hear Fox news parrots say the exact same thing on their 'opinion' shows. And the you hear the same verbiage on conservative radio, and pretty soon a gullible population believes it.

In fact, W even tells us this:

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."—Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Thats why fox news is propoganda - they are not really interested in fulfilling their duties of analyzing the government and exposing lies and corruption. Their corporation benefits from administration policies, and therefore its in their best interest to keep repeating nonsense.

Gold9472
11-16-2005, 10:58 AM
That's not why he did that. He did that because he thinks punditry is bad for the country. Even on his show he spoofed Hannity & Colmes because they had heated debates. And after Stewart made that remark showing what a jerk-off he is, Carlson pointed out that he gave Kerry soft ball questions and how unfunny he is without a script. Stewert even tried to make jokes but they were freakin horrible.

Bottom line: Jon Stewart = Duece Bag

If you don't see a problem with our current media (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6299), then there's nothing I can say or do to convince you.

Gold9472
11-16-2005, 11:00 AM
One of the things you see on 'outfoxed' is how white house 'talking points' are distributed to right wing media, where they are repeated ad infinitum almost word for word. You hear the WH press secretary say something, and then you hear Fox news parrots say the exact same thing on their 'opinion' shows. And the you hear the same verbiage on conservative radio, and pretty soon a gullible population believes it.

In fact, W even tells us this:

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things over and over and over again for the truth to sink in, to kind of catapult the propaganda."—Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005

Thats why fox news is propoganda - they are not really interested in fulfilling their duties of analyzing the government and exposing lies and corruption. Their corporation benefits from administration policies, and therefore its in their best interest to keep repeating nonsense.

To reiterate...

Here's what I believe:

Have you ever come across a bum on the street, and you couldn't even make eye contact with them because they're "Less Than Human"?

That's how our "Leaders" perceive us. They don't care about us as individuals. We are "Less Than Human".

It's a PROVEN fact that the Corporations care more about the bottom dollar than the people they sell their products to. If our Elected Officials are interchangeable with their Corporate Counterparts, then why should their priorities be any different? Guess what? They're not.

Over the years, the Corporations have slowly taken America away from us. Most decisions made in Washington D.C. no longer benefit Americans, but the Corporations themselves.

If by "New World Order" you mean that the Corporations are taking over the planet, then yes, I believe in the NEW WORLD ORDER.

PhilosophyGenius
11-16-2005, 06:08 PM
If you don't see a problem with our current media (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6299), then there's nothing I can say or do to convince you.

I know there's a problem with the media and what Carlson said was flat out wrong on his show. But Stewart blasted Crossfire just because they have lively debates and that, according to him is "hurting America".

jetsetlemming
11-16-2005, 09:07 PM
Yesterday, Bill O'Reilly called the guy who made "outfoxed" a lying stupid dope.

ThotPolice
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
I only watch tv news for entertainment anymore..That’s exactly what John's point was.
When the institution that's entire purpose is to prevent corruption becomes a whore for the system, allowing polititions to avoid scrutiny, it becomes pointless, as well as embarrassing to America.
The dumbing down of culture and war have always been good buddies.

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 12:19 AM
That’s exactly what John's point was.
When the institution that's entire purpose is to prevent corruption becomes a whore for the system, allowing polititions to avoid scrutiny, it becomes pointless, as well as embarrassing to America.
The dumbing down of culture and war have always been good buddies.

At which point did he say that? What's his exact quote where he suggests that?

And if he thought that, he picked the wrong show because Crossfire was one of the best shows in terms of news and debates.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 01:54 AM

And if he thought that, he picked the wrong show because Crossfire was one of the best shows in terms of news and debates.

Keep believing that.

ThotPolice
11-17-2005, 02:02 AM

Of course he didn’t say exactly what I paraphrased of his dialogue.

Here are some things he was trying to say in-between the baits taunts and interruptions.

“Why do we have to fight?”

(Emotions deflect the issues, confuse the audience, as well as derail points making the debate pointless.)

(Here is a funny one no-one noticed) “I always thought in a democracy.. and I don’t know I only live in this country”

“Sometimes candidates that aren’t going to win can speak the most freely otherwise shows like “cross fire”, “hardball” or “I’m gonna kick your ass will jump on it.”

JS: “Here is what I want to tell you guys stop hurting America. Come work with me.”
Bowtie: How do you pay?
JS: “Not well but you can sleep at night.”

“You’re part of their (politicos) strategies you’re partisan hacks”

“We need help from the media and they are hurting us” *Loud applause*

JS: “This is theater”
Bowtie: “I know I know you are right”

“You’re on cnn, you have a responsibility to the public discourse and you fail miserably”

Coherent points.. Interrupted…interrupted…commercial.

Shows like this create the illusion of debate and public discourse, when really they are tools to distract and confuse from the issues or reality, whatever you call it.

As well they perpetuate the vacuous, mean spirited display of aggressive one-upness that has become a large part of American culture/TVmedia in these last 5 years.

They are completely pointless, glib, heated fights not debates. When they brought Jerry Springer to the news they failed the people.

Ratings whores is what they are, these shows have no integrity.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:03 AM
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0410/15/cf.01.html

BEGALA: Well, it's because, see, we're a debate show.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great.

BEGALA: It's like saying The Weather Channel reduces everything to a storm front.

STEWART: I would love to see a debate show.

BEGALA: We're 30 minutes in a 24-hour day where we have each side on, as best we can get them, and have them fight it out.

STEWART: No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great. But that's like saying pro wrestling is a show about athletic competition.

He mentioned that a debate would be great three times, but why do you think he compared "Crossfire", which was supposed to be a "debate" show, to pro-wrestling?

Hmmmm... he likes debates, but doesn't like "Crossfire", a debate show...

He compares "Crossfire" to pro-wrestling... and when anything is compared to pro-wrestling, it's usually to insinuate that whatever it is you're talking about is "Fake" or "Staged".

In other words, a "fake" or "staged" debate HURTS THIS COUNTRY.

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 02:11 AM
1. Have you ever seen Crossfire?

2. "No, no, no, no, that would be great. To do a debate would be great"

This coming from a guy who asked John Kerry:
"How are you holding up? Is it hard not to take the attacks personally?" & "Have you ever flip-flopped?" And now he wants to lecture the guys on Crossfire about whats good for America?

3. And when I said it was the best show for news and debates, I meant in the realm of cable news.

P.S. Colbert rocks!!!!!!

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:14 AM
And you're comparing a "News" show to a "Comedy Show", and as Jon said, if that's what they're going for, then by all means, etc... however, they pass themselves off as a "News/Debate" show, and that is bullshit.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:15 AM
I could debate you that air is bad to breath, does that make it a useful debate? Considering the fact that we HAVE to breath it?

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:19 AM
If two "Pundits" are debating about whether or not John Kerry's service record is admirable while Dubya is thinking about wars in Syria, and Iran, does that make it a useful debate? Or is it a sideshow? A distraction?

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 02:21 AM
Stewarts Quotes:

“Here is what I want to tell you guys stop hurting America. Come work with me.”

So what he's saying here is that no one should fight or be partisian. When I heard him say that I was like "Okay so how are American's suppose to take there country back from these neo-faciscts, intilligent debates? Protests? Dialogue with the other side? Oh wait, that doesn't work!!"

Also, Gold, I ask you these questions:

1. How is Crossfire not a legitimate news/debate show?

2. Do you want the news to be 24/7 Dubya's war's? They do cover/debate that but they also debate and cover other issues too. The focus can't just be all on one issue.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:25 AM
So if you want to watch TV because it entertains you, then by all means. I choose not to watch it because it does NOT speak the truth. Or if it does, it puts a partisan spin on it, and even then, it's usually a half truth.

For instance... tonight, Tucker Carlson said we couldn't possibly have removed Saddam Hussein without a war, but Saddam Hussein accepted an 11th hour exile. So obviously, if he accepted an 11th hour exile, we could have avoided the war completely, and Saddam Hussein would be gone. Therefore, he completely lied.

AND when he made a blanket statement tonight that people who were there, or people who lost loved ones don't want to hear about bombs in buildings, etc... and I can tell you that there are SEVERAL people directly affected by that day that ARE questioning the official story. Yet, another lie.

How many lies have you seen that you've believed? Do you like being lied to?

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 02:29 AM
I'm done. I'm going to bed. Jon Stewart was right to humiliate the media for what they are doing, which is HURTING this country.

If Professor Steven E. Jones has actual proof that explosives were used in the building, now we may never know about it because he is now a "quack" thanks to your precious media.

Nah, proving Government complicity in 9/11 isn't important for this country... Living the lie only helps this country. It doesn't hurt it. What was I thinking?

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 02:30 AM
So if you want to watch TV because it entertains you, then by all means. I choose not to watch it because it does NOT speak the truth. Or if it does, it puts a partisan spin on it, and even then, it's usually a half truth.

For instance... tonight, Tucker Carlson said we couldn't possibly have removed Saddam Hussein without a war, but Saddam Hussein accepted an 11th hour exile. So obviously, if he accepted an 11th hour exile, we could have avoided the war completely, and Saddam Hussein would be gone. Therefore, he completely lied.

AND when he made the a blanket statement tonight that people who were there, or people who lost loved ones don't want to hear about bombs in buildings, etc... and I can tell you that there are SEVERAL people directly affected by that day that ARE questioning the official story. Yet, another lie.

How many lies have you seen that you've believed? Do you like being lied to?

Carlson and other reporters havn't intentionally "lied". They just wern't up to date on real news which they should have been. And pundits are full of spin and sometimes full of shit. That's why there called "pundits". And that's why on many news shows they have 2 pundits on the opposite side debating there points, and letting the people decide. But me, I see through all there bullshit and always get my news from the best souce. Which is of course yourbbsucks.com :)

Also, Gold, I ask you these questions:

1. How is Crossfire not a legitimate news/debate show?

2. Do you want the news to be 24/7 Dubya's war's? They do cover/debate that but they also debate and cover other issues too. The focus can't just be all on one issue all the time.

911=inside job
11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
sorry pg, but theyre all liars!!! if we can find the truth then they can too.. dont act like theyre lazy or just dont know....

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
He's defending them because a part of him doesn't want to give up the television. I say, all or nothing.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
You can't have your cake and eat it to.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM
Keep living a "half-truth".

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
This conversation is over.

United States Falls To 44th In The World For Press Freedom (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5874)

44th out of 167 countries, and our 1st Amendment claims "Freedom Of The Press". We should be #1.

If you continue arguing for the media, then that's your prerogative. I, however, am done with this conversation.

911=inside job
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
pg, gold is 100% right on this one...

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 07:28 PM
You guys are totally misunderstanding me. I know the media doesn't do it's job right!
I've always known that. That's not what I'm saying in this thread. I mean, everyone seems to think that Jon Stewart is some sort of hero for going on Crossfire and setting the media straight. But that's not what he did. He didn't even do anything close to that. All he said was:

He basically said that debates are hurting America. I'm saying that we need more shows like Crossfire because they bring livelyl debates to the American public and the republicans on that show always get there ass's kicked.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Do you acknowledge the "talking points" debates that took place on Crossfire? "Talking points" debates about things the Republicans, and Democrats want you to debate are nonsense, and serve no purpose other than those of the Republicans and Democrats.

Don't you understand? Republicans and Democrats. ONLY Republicans and Democrats. What about Libertarians? What about the Green Party? Marijuana Party, whatever... they restrict our knowledge by restricting our access.

So you can have as many shows "like Crossfire" as you want. More wood on the fire... they still serve no purpose the way today's America works.

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 07:45 PM
Do you acknowledge the "talking points" debates that took place on Crossfire? "Talking points" debates about things the Republicans, and Democrats want you to debate are nonsense, and serve no purpose other than those of the Republicans and Democrats.

Don't you understand? Republicans and Democrats. ONLY Republicans and Democrats. What about Libertarians? What about the Green Party? Marijuana Party, whatever... they restrict our knowledge by restricting our access.

So you can have as many shows "like Crossfire" as you want. More wood on the fire... they still serve no purpose the way today's America works.

Obviously you've never scene the show. The start of by doing "political briefings" in which the democrat gives a quick fact on any issue (usually Bush bashing) and the republican gives his rebutall, and vice versa. They do like 3 stories each. Then usually they bring on another democrat and republican and debate multiple issues in 2 segments. The reason it was such a great show was because they give out hardcore facts which arne't "nonsense" that the rest of the media doesn't talk about. I mean they were the only show that talked about Halliburton and how the American people were being screwed. And the Bush supporters usually get their asses kicked! We need more of that.

Regarding Libertarians and other parties, what about them? How would you make the media? I mean for the long term future there will be only 2 major parties to deal with and American's are just gonna have to deal with that. That's why Bill Maher and Michael Moore got on their knees and begged Nader not to run for president in the 04 elections. I would like multiple parties but it's too late for that, other wise it would benit a guy like Bush.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 07:46 PM
Have they ever told anyone that their Government was complicit in 9/11?

PhilosophyGenius
11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
No but the 2 dems called Bush a liar.

Gold9472
11-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Then they serve me no purpose.

ThotPolice
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
You guys are totally misunderstanding me. I know the media doesn't do it's job right!
I've always known that. That's not what I'm saying in this thread. I mean, everyone seems to think that Jon Stewart is some sort of hero for going on Crossfire and setting the media straight. But that's not what he did. He didn't even do anything close to that. All he said was:

He basically said that debates are hurting America. I'm saying that we need more shows like Crossfire because they bring livelyl debates to the American public and the republicans on that show always get there ass's kicked.
1) This is a TV news/debate show that’s own host has admitted to it being “theater” more entertaining than news. Therefore the only reason to watch it is to be entertained. If debate and news is only effective when truthful and non emotional, than I’m sorry this piece of crap, Orwellian themed performance piece belongs on comedy central along side Stewart. I wouldn’t watch it.

2) John Stewart is a COMEDIAN what he did was funny on a satiric level. Satires aim is to make light of the times in a way that exposes the hypocrisy and idiocy of our culture/times. He went on a stupid glib aggressive news infotainment debate/fight show and argued about how media like it is becoming dishonest and ruining America WITHCH IT IS so it is fucking hilarious poignant and painfully funny all at the same time. He doesn’t need to be a politician he is a political comedian, people like and listen to comedians better anyway. Ever heard of Lenny Bruce?

3) Why do you think these “debates” are filled with the constant interruptions, flaming taunts and loudest voice competitions? It’s so no one can present a decent argument. Why are the ratings so high? Because our brain dead generation was raised on the human zoo of TV talk shows and it sells. To a lot of them this is their only “news”. Why do you think there hasn’t been undismissed public outcry about the war? Because our media and shows like this foster an apathetic or us vs. them approach to politics in people. This hurts America and Canada too.