PDA

View Full Version : Kids kicked off a bus for speaking English

AuGmENTor
01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Updated: 01/10/2007 10:33:42 AM

http://kstptv5.com/article/stories/S21143.html?cat=1
Imagine sending your kids off to school, but when they get to the bus they are told they can't get on because they speak English.
That's right, English.

It happened to a few children in St. Paul and now the school district is apologizing.

Rachel Armstrong sent her kids to pick up the bus as usual Monday, but after the driver let the kids on, he told them he would not pick them up again. He even said he wouldn't take them home that afternoon.

Armstrong left work early Tuesday, forced to pick up her kids from Phalen Lake Elementary School.

Her twin girls, 10, and her son, 8, were kicked off their regular school bus. They were told by the bus driver the route is for non-English speaking students only.

"I was furious. I was at work and I was just mad." Armstrong said. "I felt like we were being discriminated because we speak English. Just because they speak English, they can't ride the school bus. I mean, this is America, right?"

Administrators at St. Paul Public Schools admit the district made a mistake when it stranded the kids at school Monday.

However, the district points out, that particular bus route serves one of three language academies. The one at Phalen Lake is for Hmong students learning English.

The academies all have separate bus routes to keep its students together.

The district decided to enforce the separate routes beginning Monday, but it did not tell the Armstrong family.

"It is our responsibility to ensure the safety of these kids and we made a mistake. The kids should have gotten home that day," Dayna Kennedy, public relations representative.

The district also discovered the Armstrongs no longer live in the Phalen Lake School boundary because they moved last year.

So even though the district apologized, if they want to still go to Phalen, they are going to have to get their own ride.
(AuGmENTor: This is where it starts. This is why I was so fucking pissed about that douche being sworn in on a quaran. We are being squeezed out of our own country. Learn OUR language, which is ENGLISH, you leeches. (I am aware that some of those kids were learning just that, so that part is all good) Google up Kiryas Joel, its a small hasidic town about thirty miles south of me. They enjoy tax exempt status (as do I) HATE we gentiles. Their vendin machines dont take american money, nor are they written in english. I am all for these people coming here with their own beliefs, even having their own town... But TAX EXEMPTION???? Gimme a fuckin break)

royster
01-10-2007, 01:24 PM
I'm sure Garrison Keillor will have something to say about this on "A Prairie Home Companion" this Saturday...he'll probably devote the whole SHOW to it! (Public radio, Saturday at 6:00 pm, check your local listings. Yes; you guys get it in Europe, too.)

thumper
01-10-2007, 03:42 PM
i love how 'separate but equal' is now being retooled as 'diversity'

PhilosophyGenius
01-10-2007, 06:27 PM
The guy swearing in on a Quran is no problem but this is just ridiculous. Anything involving illegal immigrants or special rights from them pisses me off.