PDA

View Full Version : NBC: US airstrikes target suspected al-Qaeda operations in Somalia

beltman713
01-08-2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16531987/

NBC: US airstrikes target suspected al-Qaeda operations in Somalia

BREAKING NEWS
NBC News and news services
Updated: 4 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - A senior Pentagon official confirmed for NBC News Monday that a U.S. gunship conducted a strike against two suspected al-Qaida operatives in southern Somalia. It was not immediately known whether the mission was successful.

The U.S. Air Force AC-130 gunship, operated by the Special Operations Command, flew from its base in Djibouti to the southern tip of Somalia, where the al-Qaida suspects were believed to have fled from the capital, Mogadishu, CBS News reported.

The AC-130 is capable of firing thousands of rounds per second.

U.S. officials say that the United States received assurances from both the Ethiopian and Somalian governments in the last two weeks that, should they obtain intelligence concerning the whereabouts of the al-Qaida operatives, they would pass it on to the United States.

The operatives are believed to be responsible for the 1998 bombings in Kenya and Tanzania, which left 241 people dead, as well as 2002 attacks on Israeli tourists in Kenya and the attempted downing of an Israeli aircraft the same day.

The Ethiopian military swept into Somalia last month and removed the Islamic government that had reputedly harbored al-Qaida operatives.

The leader of al-Qaida's East Africa cell is named Fazul Abdullah Mohammed, NBC’s Robert Windrem reported.

It is not known if Mohammed was the target of the Tuesday attack, but he has been the most targeted al-Qaida operative in Africa for nearly a decade. He is most commonly known as Harun Fazul.

This breaking story will be updated. The Associated Press, Reuters and NBC News producer Robert Windrem contributed to this report.
© 2006 MSNBC Interactive

casseia
01-08-2007, 10:12 PM
Actually, I don't have any trouble believing there are bad people in Somalia who would like to blow things up -- I just don't think they're part of a group with superpowers as we are being conditioned to believe. And I'm thinking, hmmm, way to get people's minds off "the surge" for a moment.

Gold9472
01-08-2007, 10:34 PM
I believe "Al-Qaeda" does exist. I just don't think it exists as we are led to believe. It certainly does not have the tentacles they claim it does. Able to strike anywhere, anytime, etc... That's just the fear mongering. However, is "Al-Qaeda" controlled by Western Intelligence through infiltration, etc...? I'd bet my life on it. And, as Paul Thompson described in PFT... the ISI, and Al-Qaeda are basically one and the same.

PhilosophyGenius
01-09-2007, 02:11 AM
I believe "Al-Qaeda" does exist. I just don't think it exists as we are led to believe. It certainly does not have the tentacles they claim it does. Able to strike anywhere, anytime, etc... That's just the fear mongering. However, is "Al-Qaeda" controlled by Western Intelligence through infiltration, etc...? I'd bet my life on it. And, as Paul Thompson described in PFT... the ISI, and Al-Qaeda are basically one and the same.

Intersting point about al-Qaeda being infiltrated and controlled. One could point to the example of the 7/7 mastermind being protected by the British and Pakistani intel to help prove that. But to me al-Qaeda does exist as an international group.