PDA

View Full Version : Bush Rules Out Talks With Iran Until It Stops Nuclear Program

Gold9472
11-28-2006, 09:50 AM
Bush rules out talks with Iran until it stops nuclear program

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/28/europe/EU_GEN_Estonia_Bush_Iran.php

The Associated Press
Published: November 28, 2006

TALLINN, Estonia: U.S. President George W. Bush on Tuesday ruled out any talks with Iran until it suspends its uranium enrichment program, and said Iran and Syria should not destabilize the fledgling democracy in neighboring Iraq.

"Iran knows how to get to the table with us," Bush told reporters during a visit to Estonia. "And that is to do that which they said they would do, which is verifiably suspend their enrichment programs."

The U.S. alleges Iran is secretly developing atomic weapons, though Tehran has repeatedly claimed its program is for peaceful purposes, including generating electricity.

"The idea of this regime having a nuclear weapon, by which they could blackmail the world, is unacceptable to free nations," Bush said.

Speaking at a news conference before heading to a NATO summit in neighboring Latvia later in the day, Bush also accused Iran and Syria of undermining the government in Lebanon.

"That government is being undermined, in my opinion, by extremist forces encouraged out of Syria and Iran," Bush said. He added that a democratic Lebanon "will be a major defeat for those who articulate extremist point of views."

Syria's Foreign Minister Walid al-Moualem dismissed Bush's comments as "nonsense" as he arrived for a European Union-Mideast foreign ministers meeting in Tampere, Finland.

"We know who is interfering — the Americans and the French," al-Moualem told reporters. "I think all parties need to leave Lebanon to fulfill the hope of the Lebanese people."

He said Syria was "playing a constructive role in the region."

In Iraq, Bush said he did not oppose recent talks between Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki and Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in Tehran.

"I hope their talks yield results. One result that Iraq would like to see is for the Iranians to leave them alone," Bush said. "If Iran is going to be involved in their country they ought to be involved in a constructive way — encouraging peace."

"The Iranians and the Syrians should help — not destabilize — this young democracy," he said.