PDA

View Full Version : uppity college kid gets tazed

thumper
11-20-2006, 01:19 PM
saw it on infowars.

here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JGlvEcPmug

here's a very astute observation made in the comments section:

What he did is called resisting arrest - he was told no less than 60 times to stand up in the first half of the video. With all his yelling and screaming and refusal to cooperate, I suspect he's an attention whore out to make some disjointed statement about the patriot act - which had absolutely nothing to do with this incident.

now i'm no lawyer, but i'll preface by saying that i'm a libertarian and from what i gather the question of 'civil liberties', for the most part, I thought only applied to public property. i.e. the police aren't allowed to check for your ID while you walk down the street if they have no compelling reason to.

The ACLU student library is private property, and the nature of such places is that they can enforce their own terms of usage, usually for liability purposes (the ID policy is a form of security). i.e. to enter into a mine, you need a hardhat, or how you have to wear clothes if you wanna enter most eating establishments.

while i agree about the police state that AJ talks about most the time, i think we have to get our paradigms straight here. our sphere of 'freedom' only extends as far until it bumps into someone elses sphere. I'm reminded of those people who phone into the randi rhodes show who literally think that Freedom of Speech means they have the RIGHT to have their letters published by newspapers, kinda like I should have the right to spray paint your garage with a custom message of mine.

i just hope that people don't associate the 9/11 truth movement/anti NWO movement with this nihilist cuz it makes us looks bad and crazy.

holla

Eckolaker
11-20-2006, 02:47 PM
I agree with that whole assesment.

As I may think the cops got a little Taser happy, that kid was out of line.

He was asked for his ID. Its a library policy, and Im glad they attempted to enforce it. He was asked to leave and didn't. It wasnt until campus police showed up that he made the choice to leave. I think the kid could have difussed the situation by cooperating with the police. Instead he got out of line, he was ignoring orders by the police to come with them.

But as I said, I don't think either side of the issue has justification for their actions.

thumper
11-20-2006, 04:33 PM
i'm really trying to look at things from both sides of the issue.

at the end of the day though, we have someone who either doesn't have ID/refuses to produce it, and won't leave the premises when asked to. This is an intruder according to their policy. granted, we're not talking about a highly sensitive place like the NSA or the Lockheed Martin's Skunkworks facility or your own private home, but really, why should it be any different? with all the school shootings going on this seems quite reasonable. someone on the youtube comments section also said that several women had been sexually assaulted in their school library by people who didn't belong there (before the security measure), so the ID check makes perfect sense.

Chana3812
11-20-2006, 05:59 PM
But, seems like he was repeatedly tazed when he was told to stand up -- and according to some reports that I read, you are temporarily paralyzed after being tazed -- so the cops KNEW he couldn't stand up and they continued to taze him anyway.

One taze should do the trick - grab the guy and give him the bum's rush out of the place. Don't keep tazing him because he can't walk or stand.

thumper
11-20-2006, 06:35 PM
But, seems like he was repeatedly tazed when he was told to stand up -- and according to some reports that I read, you are temporarily paralyzed after being tazed -- so the cops KNEW he couldn't stand up and they continued to taze him anyway.

One taze should do the trick - grab the guy and give him the bum's rush out of the place. Don't keep tazing him because he can't walk or stand.truf

AuGmENTor
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM

One taze should do the trick - grab the guy and give him the bum's rush out of the place. Don't keep tazing him because he can't walk or stand.That was my point, and why I was so pissed in the origional thread. If you HAVE to zap the guy, do it and get him out.

thumper
11-21-2006, 12:18 AM
how come everyone on the news is emphasizing his ethnic origin?

let the race baiting commence!

Chana3812
11-21-2006, 09:04 AM
I didn't see any story referencing his ethnic original, but I haven't read the updates on this for two days. The original stories didn't mention it .....

thumper
11-21-2006, 12:30 PM
Students angry at stunning of Iranian-American (http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1162378424728&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull)

UCLA students and civil rights activists demanded an independent investigation into a campus police officer's use of a stun gun on an Iranian-American student.

MrDark71
11-24-2006, 01:57 PM
It is a sad example of what we as humans have come to but the simple fact remains the police are not there to argue/debate/assess ethic's...they are there to police. That's their job. If you want to "philosphise the inhumanity" save it for the judge and jury...that's their job. I'm not a big fan of the police either but when you spend all day listening to people lie to your face and viewing the dark side of human behavior the last thing you want to deal with is some smartass student that was breaking the rules. I would've brought him outside and "waxed some philosophy" with the nightstick. Next time dickwad...get an ID..just like the rest of the students.....don't put on a "civil rights theatre show" unless of course...you are right.....and btw....show me in the Patriot Act the page on library admittance and procedures. We can't preach accountability if we don't ourselves become accountable for our own actions.