PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Rep. Charlie Rangel Will Introduce Bill To Reinstate Military Draft

Gold9472
11-19-2006, 08:56 PM
Democratic congressman says he will introduce bill to reinstate military draft

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/11/19/america/NA_GEN_US_Military_Draft.php

(Gold9472: Yay... the Democrats are in power... Yay...)

The Associated Press
Published: November 19, 2006

WASHINGTON: Americans would have to sign up for a new military draft after turning 18 under a bill the incoming chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee says he will introduce next year.

Representative Charles Rangel, a New York Democrat, said Sunday he sees his idea as a way to deter politicians from launching wars.

"There's no question in my mind that this president and this administration would never have invaded Iraq, especially on the flimsy evidence that was presented to the Congress, if indeed we had a draft and members of Congress and the administration thought that their kids from their communities would be placed in harm's way," Rangel said.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War who has unsuccessfully sponsored legislation on conscription in the past, has said the all-volunteer military disproportionately puts the burden of war on minorities and lower-income families.

Rangel said he will propose a measure early next year. While he said he is serious about the proposal, there is little evident support among the public or lawmakers for it.

In 2003, Rangel proposed a measure covering people age 18 to 26. It was defeated 402-2 the following year. This year, he offered a plan to mandate military service for men and women between age 18 and 42; it went nowhere in the Republican-led Congress.

Democrats will control the House and Senate come January because of their victories in the Nov. 7 election.

At a time when some lawmakers are urging the military to send more troops to Iraq, "I don't see how anyone can support the war and not support the draft," said Rangel, who also proposed a draft in January 2003, before the U.S. invasion of Iraq. "I think to do so is hypocritical."

Senator Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican who is a colonel in the U.S. Air Force Standby Reserve, said he agreed that the U.S. does not have enough people in the military.

"I think we can do this with an all-voluntary service, all-voluntary Army, Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy. And if we can't, then we'll look for some other option," said Graham, who is assigned as a reserve judge to the Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals.

Rangel, the next chairman of the House tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, said he worried the military was being strained by its overseas commitments.

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," Rangel said.

He said having a draft would not necessarily mean everyone called to duty would have to serve. Instead, "young people (would) commit themselves to a couple of years in service to this great republic, whether it's our seaports, our airports, in schools, in hospitals," with a promise of educational benefits at the end of service.

Graham said he believes the all-voluntary military "represents the country pretty well in terms of ethnic makeup, economic background."

Repeated polls have shown that about seven in 10 Americans oppose reinstatement of the draft and officials say they do not expect to restart conscription.

Outgoing Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld told Congress in June 2005 that "there isn't a chance in the world that the draft will be brought back."

Yet the prospect of the long global fight against terrorism and the continuing U.S. commitment to stabilizing Iraq have kept the idea in the public's mind.

The military drafted conscripts during the Civil War, both world wars and between 1948 and 1973, a period which included wars in Korea and Vietnam. An agency independent of the Defense Department, the Selective Service System, keeps an updated registry of men age 18-25 — now about 16 million — from which to supply untrained draftees that would supplement the professional all-volunteer armed forces.

Rangel and Graham appeared on "Face the Nation" on CBS.

PhilosophyGenius
11-19-2006, 08:58 PM
He did that before. I think he said the only reason he did it was to prove a point (that only poor people's kids go to war).

Gold9472
11-19-2006, 09:36 PM
He did that before. I think he said the only reason he did it was to prove a point (that only poor people's kids go to war).

No offense to Rep. Rangel (who recently referred to Cheney as a "son of a bitch"), but I don't trust the current version of our Government to not call his bluff.

Good Doctor HST
11-19-2006, 09:46 PM
Rangel, the next chairman of the House tax-writing Ways and Means Committee, said he worried the military was being strained by its overseas commitments.

"If we're going to challenge Iran and challenge North Korea and then, as some people have asked, to send more troops to Iraq, we can't do that without a draft," Rangel said.

I guess instead of challenging Iran and North Korea, another option would be to try diplomacy with these countries. I don't think that'll do any good until Dumbya is out of office. Leaders of other countries don't really trust his words.

But I take it that's Rangel's angle. To bring into the public's mind the possibility of extending War against others; cause nobody wants to hear talk of a draft. And they will thus raise their voices against this awful spectre.

AuGmENTor
11-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Can't they tie the whole immigration problem to this? I mean, you come here illeagaly. They catch up to you, and alls you have to do to stay is a three year hitch in one our many combat theaters w/o dying. You come back an American with all the benefits our other veterans get. (none)

PhilosophyGenius
11-20-2006, 01:55 AM
I take back what I said, saw Rangel on tv and he was serious about this. Still a great senator besides this.