PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan, Britain Pursuing Strategic Partnership To Address Radicalisation

Gold9472
11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
Pakistan, Britain pursuing strategic partnership to address Radicalisation

http://www.pakistantimes.net/2006/11/20/top2.htm

By Sarah Kamal 'Pakistan Times' Special Correspondent

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan and Britain a re pursuing a strategic partnership to address radicalisation through a series of measures including reconstruction, development, health and education.

This was stated by Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz and British counterpart Tony Blair while talking to reporters after a meeting here on Sunday.

The two leaders who had an exclusive one-on-one meeting followed by delegation level interaction reiterated their resolve to further strengthen their multi-faceted bilateral cooperation.

Prime Minister Blair while underscoring the need to address the issue of international terrorism said both the countries were cooperating to defeat those elements bent upon disrupting world peace.

He said extremist influences were trying to pervert some minority of Muslims, all over the world, but was optimist of addressing the matter.

“What is important now is that we have a strategic partnership with Pakistan to take this on,” Blair said.

He said the legislation passed for greater protection of women in Pakistan, broad-based education and an improved economy were all helping in tackling the problem of radicalisation.

“There are those who are trying to radicalise young Muslims from around the world, but the important thing is that we are today working in an alliance to take that on, to defeat that, and that’s a big change,” Prime Minister Tony Blair said.

On whether the battle against terrorism was being won or lost, he said “you begin to win the battle when you begin to fight it, and of course when you fight it you get some blow back.”

He however said that Britain and Pakistan today have a relationship that they even could not have thought of having few years back.

“I can’t imagine the relationship we have with Pakistan today being one that we had few years back, and that’s because we see a common interest and progress is being made here is of immense benefit back in Britain as well.”

He said prior to 9/11 western world was ignorant of what was happening in different parts of the world. He said trends of extremism grew over a long period of time but added that it was only in the past few years, that the governments began to take on the issue.

Referring to what Prime Minister Aziz said in his address at the Princeton University, Blair said, one way to address the issue was through reconstruction and development and to solve the grievances that were being exploited and used to promote radicalism.

Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz said extreme behaviour was not the exclusive preserve of any faith or geography.

“It is a challenge we all face and need to address it in a very serious manner.”

He said the whole world was engaged in fighting the scourge of terrorism to achieve a peaceful world.

“Terrorism and extreme behaviour stem from feeling of depravation and marginalisation,” he added.

He said there was a need to engage hearts and minds of the people to give them a sense of hope and to address the issues which face them.

He said the British assistance for Pakistan in health and education, trade and market access, would assist the country in addressing these issues by creating job opportunities.

He said it was also challenge for the world leaders to address these issues so that people do not feel marginalised and instead could collectively build an atmosphere of tranquility and prosperity.

Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz stressing the need for interfaith harmony called for bridging the gap between different faiths, cultures and civilisations.

He said Islam as a faith propagates peace and harmony and abhors violence.

He said this could be done as both sides were committed to do it.

Prime Minister Aziz when asked whether he discussed exit strategy for the foreign troops from Afghanistan and Iraq, he reiterated his call for a “well choreographed exit strategy”.

He said it need not be a “cut-and-run” one and may continue over several years, however the need for a strategy was essential to return the country to normalcy.

About Afghanistan, the Prime Minister said Pakistan was an important stakeholder and called for engaging all “visible and un-visible stakeholders”.

He said a strong, stable, vibrant Afghanistan was good for both its people and for the people of Pakistan. He said there were still three million refugees in Pakistan and wanted to see them return and live in peace.

About the Marshal plan, he said there was a need to see more development, starting of reforms, income generation and greater market access to help fight extreme behaviour.

Aziz said peace and prosperity were the cornerstone of Pakistan’s policy.

Prime Minister Blair said the key to exit strategy were that both Iraq and Afghanistan are capable of looking after their own affairs and its people are not brutally oppressed by dictatorships.

Blair agreed with Prime Minister Aziz in ensuring that there was a commitment to help its people stand on their own.

In case of Afghanistan, Blair said it was necessary to make sure that it is a proper partner for peace, progress and prosperity.

Prime Minister Aziz in his opening remarks said both the countries have historic relationships and thanked Britain for its support in education, healthcare and gender reform.

Appreciating the announcement of doubling of Pakistan’s aid, he said it will go a long way in meeting Pakistan’s ability to achieve the Millennium Development Goals and improving the lot of people.

He also pointed at the collaboration in security, defence, fighting terrorism and economic growth.

Aziz said the Pakistani diaspora in Britain was playing an important role in the economies of both the countries.

He said Pakistan was committed to peace with its neighbours in an atmosphere of tranquility and trust and was working with them to build a relationship that is win-win for all the sides.

Prime Minister Aziz pointed at the similarity of views on most issues and vowed to continue to create a more peaceful world.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair greeted Aziz on the passage of Women legislation and on the reforms in Pakistan.

“We are very happy to double our support for Pakistan to some 480 million pounds in next three years and will support the program of change in Pakistan.”

Prime Minister Blair said he was pleased to see a very optimist and positive Pakistan today and both the countries were cooperating in a host of areas.

Exclusive Meeting
Earlier the two leaders in their exclusive meeting discussed ways and means to further expand cooperation in wide ranging areas.

Prime Minister Aziz informed him about the ongoing Composite dialogue process with India and said that Pakistan favoured resolution of the Kashmir dispute according to the aspirations of the Kashmiri people.

He said Pakistan believed in dispute resolution instead of conflict management to bring lasting peace to the region.

He also sought Prime Minister Blair’s help in restarting the Doha round of talks.

About Afghanistan, he pointed at the increase in poppy cultivation and called for provision of alternative sources of income for the farmers.

He said Pakistan was endeavouring to register the Afghan refugees based in Pakistan and wished them to return honourably in a organised manner to their homes, where they can earn a respectable income.

The two leaders also pointed at the need of having greater interfaith harmony and greater interaction amongst people of all faith for more peaceful coexistence.

The British delegation included Sir Nigel Sheinwal Foreign Policy Adviser, Sir Mark Lyall Grant British High Commissioner and Yusaf Samiullah of Head DFID Pakistan.

The Pakistan side included Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao Minister for Interior, Dr. Salman Shah Advisor to PM on Finance, Makhdoom Khusro Bakhtiar Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Tariq Azim, Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting, Riaz Muhammad Khan Secretary Foreign Affairs, Zamir Akram Additional Secretary (FA), Ms Maleeha Lodhi Pakistan’s High Commission to the United Kingdom.

Gold9472
11-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Blair says he doesn’t believe in ‘clash of civilisations’

http://www.thenews.com.pk/top_story_detail.asp?Id=4288

By Hamid Mir
11/19/2006

ISLAMABAD: British Prime Minister Tony Blair has said that he does not believe in the ‘clash of civilisations’.

In an exclusive interview with Hamid Mir to be telecast on Geo News today (Monday) at 3.45pm and 7.05pm, Blair said that ways and means are being explored to remove misconceptions with regard to the war on terrorism.

The British prime minister said he is against the death penalty and has an exit strategy from Iraq.

Blair spoke on a number of issues relating to Afghanistan, Iraq and Kashmir. Here are the details.

Q: What is the basic objective of your visit to Pakistan?

A: I am here to try and cement the relationship between Britain and Pakistan, to support Pakistan in health, education and development, to build cooperation and for the growth of the Pakistan economy. I am here to symbolise the change in the relationship. A few years back, I couldn’t think of coming here and finding Pakistan in such a good position.

Q: President General Pervez Musharraf commuted the death sentence of a British citizen Mirza Tahir. Are you against the death penalty in principle?

A: We are against the death penalty and that’s the position of the European Union and Britain as far we have abolished it in the UK, but this is a different issue and we were pleased that intervention and that persistence was the matter of Pakistan and not for us.

Q: What do you think about the death penalty of Saddam Hussein? Do you think his hanging will help to stabilise the situation in Iraq?

A: It’s the decision that the Iraqi authorities will take, but as I said earlier we are against the death penalty in whatever context.

Q: You have many big stakes in Afghanistan. Why do you think the situation in Afghanistan is not stabilising?

A: There are many parts of Afghanistan which are stabilizing, but there are many changes in the country in terms of economy and in terms of democracy there are presidential elections and girls are allowed to go to schools and many of the schools have started to rebuild and there are new health centres and so on. So there is a lot of change but of course there are the Taliban and the extremist groups will fight hard because they used to have power which they don’t have now. We should stay to help Afghans and they should have their own security in place so that they can work out their own future so that they can elect their president.

Q: How long are UK forces going to stay in Afghanistan? According to some reports they are going to stay for 10 years. Is this correct?

A: None of these reports are correct. In the end, we stay as long as the government wants us to stay. Of course we have the United Nations resolution, which backs our presence there. The purpose is not to stay there forever. There is no time limit, an arbitrary time limit from the perspective of Afghans, which wants us to stay there to back their government in taking control of the country so that people can enjoy proper human rights and democracy.

Q: Five years after 9/11, Osama bin Laden and Mulla Omar are still at large. Why do you think this is so?

A: I know there are many attempts to seek them out, but I think it is more important that we stay with the people in Afghanistan and help them achieve what they voted for. The United Nations has supervised the democratic process, and the reason why British forces and the forces of 25-30 countries are in the southern part of Afghanistan, they are there to help the government.

Of course, we continue to seek out Osama bin Laden and Mulla Omar but the important thing is to support the reconstruction, political development and economy and particularly this situation in southern part where the Taliban are fighting back.

Q: A top UK general has said that this is the time to pull out from Iraq. Do you have any exit strategy to pull out from Iraq?

A: The strategy we have is what the general said. It’s different from Afghanistan. The Iraqi government wanted us there, but the Iraqi capabilities are growing the whole time. British forces looked after four provinces in Iraq, two of them are already handed back to Iraqis, and we are conducting an operation in Basra at the moment, which is to give control to the Iraqi authorities later. Again it is diminishing our need to be there, but the purpose both in Afghanistan and Iraq to stay there with the support of their governments and the United Nations as long as it is necessary — not more than necessary.

Q: There is no independent judiciary and free press both in Afghanistan and Iraq. So how can you stabilise democracy in these two countries without an independent judiciary and press?

A: The press is free both in Afghanistan and Iraq. In respect to the judiciary that’s the part of capacity we have to build in these countries, but let’s be clear. When the Taliban were in charge of Afghanistan and Saddam Hussein was in charge of Iraq, you did not have any free press and nor did you have democratic rights.

Q: You have met many Pakistani scholars today; you must have exchanged your views with them. Most of them think that this war against terror is a war against Islam, and we are heading towards a clash of civilizations. What are your impressions?

A: We are not heading towards a clash of civilizations. A majority of Muslims believe in democracy, tolerance and people of different faiths living together. One of the things we are exploring with these people at mosques is how we get a better atmosphere on faiths between both sides and how to remove some misconceptions regarding the war against terror. We are in alliance of civilization against people of extremism that uses terrorism to get their way.

Q: What is your position on the veil controversy in UK these days?

A: I have talked about it before because in the end people go for their personal choices that whether they wear veils... It’s an immensely difficult subject. I think in broad terms when we see integration of faiths, I also see integration of societies so that people see they are coming together. The veil controversy started when people felt that there was separateness. There are differences on it within the Muslim communities as well as outside the Muslim community.

Q: The Dutch government has decided to put a ban on the veil and Hijab. Would you like to comment on that?

A: No, I don’t think so. But I think there are different positions taken on this by the Muslim countries, but these are very sensitive cultural issues. Sometimes they have to be raised in order to explore problems that they have given rise to.

Q: Yesterday, General John Abizaid said that the Islamic militancy could lead to World War III. Do you agree with that?

A: I think the extremism linked to Islam is giving a wrong view because it’s a peaceful religion. But this extremism is in many countries; it’s in Britain, Pakistan and in many European countries. I think all who believe in moderation and tolerance need to come together and beat it. The trouble with the world of globalisation in terms of economy, mass communications and technology is with everything. The cliche about us being a global world is becoming true, but terrorism can be a very dangerous thing; it sets people apart and pulls people of different faiths against each other. It casts the shadow on the abilities of the people to work together and I think the general is right.

Today Britain and Pakistan both are doing work together to beat it, which was unimaginable, and the work Pakistan has done in all these years is very important.

Q: Can we combat Islamic militancy without resolving the problem in the Middle East? Do you have any solution in your mind regarding the resolution of the Middle East problem?

A: I certainly have the resolution; we should have two-state resolution. The Palestinian people should have their own stable state. The advantage is that we know what we want to achieve but the problem is how to get it. The important thing is to patiently revitalize this peace process which is very important and keep it going. Palestine does not justify extremism or terrorism, but it is the one source to reach across that spectrum but one thing to make progress in this regard is not to put Israel at risk. At this moment Palestinians are living in miserable conditions without the hope for future; we have to give them this hope.

Q: How to deal with Iran and Syria?

A: We offer them a strategic choice. My remarks are misinterpreted both in regard to Iran and Syria. One day I am saying: take military action, and next day I am saying: we are the partners for peace, but what I am saying is we should offer the vision to whole of the region making progress for Palestine and making sure that democratic government in Lebanon is secure and support movements for democracy in the region.

There is a strategic choice for Iran and Syria that if you want to work with us then be a part of that. On other hand, if you support the terrorism in Lebanon, Iraq and Syria then people will consider you part of the problem not part of the solution. We both have got a strategic choice.

Q: Do you support the idea of engaging Hamas and Hezbollah in a dialogue?

A: I have been through the Northern Island peace process. I have talked to those people who previous governments did not think of talking to. It’s not a question of dialogue but the only way we make progress as if we are solving the problems through politics not through problems. Now there is no difficulty in it, for example Hamas became part of the national unity and that national unity abided by the United Nations principle... of course we should talk to them.

Q: There is less home grown terrorism in USA... all the 9/11 attackers came from outside; but there is lot of home grown terrorism in UK. What is the reason for that?

A: I think this ideology of extremism is exported all around the world. UK is not the only country with home grown terrorism. There are some other countries in Europe, too, which are having the same problems. The answer is to create strong support for moderate and tolerant principles within the community to root out extremism, and to mobilize the moderate majorities of the Muslim from the UK and Pakistan to defeat this thing. You have got to win the minds and hearts of the people as well to make them secure and that is what I think we are doing now. The Pakistani community and Pakistani leaders in the UK are playing a part in it.

Q: Many people in Pakistan view that UK has the moral responsibility to do something about the Kashmir dispute resolution because it is the unfinished agenda of 1947. Do you think that a Belfast kind of resolution is possible in Kashmir?

A: I have tried to do anything I can to help this situation in the past. In the end it is going to be resolved by India and Pakistan. There are hopeful sides, if you have been taking this interview to me five years back and even after Sept 11, then the first question would be Kashmir but not now. I have asked both the leaders of India and Pakistan to resolve it. India and Pakistan are two important countries of the region and in a few years would be powerful countries as well. I ask them to resolve this issue then concentrate on the things which will determine your future, like economic development and regional security which are to do with two proud countries. And I think it’s with the leadership of the two countries to deal with this issue. This issue is very important for both the countries, and we can’t interfere; we should help in a partnership of India and Pakistan.