PDA

View Full Version : Aw Geez... I'm Screwed

Gold9472
04-15-2005, 04:13 PM
Pessimism raises dementia risk, study finds
Research based on standardized personality tests

Updated: 12:09 p.m. ET April 15, 2005 WASHINGTON - Pessimistic, anxious and depressed people may have a higher risk of dementia, U.S. researchers reported Thursday.

A study of a group of 3,500 people showed that those who scored high for pessimism on a standardized personality test had a 30 percent increased risk of developing dementia 30 to 40 years later.

Those scoring very high on both anxiety and pessimism scales had a 40 percent higher risk, the study showed.

“There appears to be a dose-response pattern, i.e., the higher the scores, the higher the risk of dementia,” Dr. Yonas Geda, a neuropsychiatrist at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., who led the study, said in a statement.

Geda and colleagues looked at the medical records of 3,500 men and women who lived near the clinic between 1962 and 1965.

They all took the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory, a standard personality and life experience test, Geda’s team told a meeting of the American Academy of Neurology in Miami.

In 2004 the team interviewed the participants or family members.

Those who scored higher for anxiety and pessimism on the test were more likely, as a group, to have developed dementia by 2004, including Alzheimer’s disease and vascular dementia.

This did not mean a person who is pessimistic could assume he or she has a higher risk of developing dementia.

“One has to be cautious in interpreting a study like this,” Geda said.

“One cannot make a leap from group level data to the individual. Certainly the last thing you want to do is to say, 'Well, I am a pessimist; thus, I am doomed to develop dementia 20 or 30 years later,’ because this may end up becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy.”

And there is not any specific way to prevent dementia, although many studies have shown that a healthy diet, exercise, keeping active in other ways, doing puzzles and other activities lower the risk.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters

WhiteGuySaysThis
04-15-2005, 04:25 PM
This explains a lot Jon... :)

Nothin' but love for ya

Simply_sexy
04-15-2005, 04:33 PM
I see......

beltman713
04-15-2005, 04:44 PM
Damn, I'm done for.

Gold9472
04-15-2005, 05:38 PM
Damn, I'm done for.

You and me both sister...

Gold9472
04-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I'm sorry, but I refuse to look at the world as half full as opposed to half empty...

"Well... Dubya sent our men and women to war, and managed to kill over 100,000 Iraqis, but... I hear they have good beach front property."

Nah, it just isn't me.

somebigguy
04-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Don't worry Jon, you need to have a brain before you can have a brain disorder.

Gold9472
04-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Don't worry Jon, you need to have a brain before you can have a brain disorder.

That's an excellent point.

princesskittypoo
04-15-2005, 09:00 PM
how do they have beach front property i thought they were totally landlocked.
jon don't worry about it. if you get deminsia so will i cause we suffer from the same mentalities.... (i quit taking my meds TODAY!)

somebigguy
04-15-2005, 09:02 PM
"We all go a little crazy sometimes"

-Norman Bates.

danceyogamom
04-16-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm sorry, but I refuse to look at the world as half full as opposed to half empty...

"Well... Dubya sent our men and women to war, and managed to kill over 100,000 Iraqis, but... I hear they have good beach front property."

Nah, it just isn't me.

even pessimists can have hope ...