PDA

View Full Version : Texas School Tells Classes to Fight Back If A Gunman Invades The Classroom

thumper
10-13-2006, 03:31 PM
BURLESON, Texas (AP) - Youngsters in a suburban Fort Worth school district are being taught not to sit there like good boys and girls with their hands folded if a gunman invades the classroom, but to rush him and hit him with everything they got - books, pencils, legs and arms. ``Getting under desks and praying for rescue from professionals is not a recipe for success,'' said Robin Browne, a major in the British Army reserve and an instructor for Response Options, the company providing the training to the Burleson schools.

That kind of fight-back advice is all but unheard of among schools, and some fear it will get children killed.

But school officials in Burleson said they are drawing on the lessons learned from a string of disasters such as Columbine in 1999 and the Amish schoolhouse attack in Pennsylvania last week.

The school system in this working-class suburb of about 26,000 is believed to be the first in the nation to train all its teachers and students to fight back, Browne said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-6145625,00.html

Eckolaker
10-13-2006, 03:58 PM
This is actually good to hear.

thumper
10-13-2006, 04:18 PM
we should rush congress

Chana3812
10-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I went to elementary school in Burleson --- Burleson Bulldogs !

I am glad to hear this story :)

cottonzway
10-14-2006, 12:02 AM
Good to here. Never let some scumbag take you out without fighting for your right to live regardless of your age.

AuGmENTor
10-14-2006, 07:24 AM
My kids have a whole subset of instructions that supercede the schools in an emergency. The school can suspend them, but I can punish WAY better than that. They know that if they cannot get out of immediate danger, then they had better look after themselves, cause no one will do it for them. They have alot of heart, and I can't picture any of them just sitting there if an armed guy showed up. The older ones hunt, so they know very well what bullets do to flesh. I can't imagine a parent telling their child to just sit there and do what they're told... Their scools have a lock down policy. My policy is that they get out of the school before it locks down. And if they need to knock down a school official to get out, so be it.