PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Immigrants Sue Wendy's

PhilosophyGenius
10-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Illegal Immigrants Sue Wendy's

http://www.wjla.com/news/stories/1006/367329.html

HOUSTON (AP) - A group of illegal immigrants who worked for Wendy's International Inc. is suing the restaurant chain because the company fired them after discovering it had missed a deadline for joining a federal program that would have helped them attain legal status.The lawsuit, filed Friday in state district court in Houston, is a companion to a similar class-action suit filed last month in Dallas against Dublin, Ohio-based Wendy's, its subsidiary Cafe Express and the Houston-based business law firm Boyar & Miller.

The immigrants, who worked for Cafe Express, are seeking unspecified damages

Between the two lawsuits, 40 illegal immigrants say they were fired after the company recently found that Boyar & Miller, the law firm Wendy's had hired, never filed paperwork for a 2001 legalization program that allowed immigrants with employer sponsorship or an American spouse to apply for citizenship.

Once the discovery was made, Wendy's was forced by law to fire the employees because of their illegal status. Immigrants in the program would have been insulated from being fired.

"I put all my hope and faith in this company," said Daniel Olivares, who worked for Cafe Express for nine years before being fired in September. "It was devastating news for me and my family."

Wendy's spokesman Bob Bertini called it an "extremely unfortunate situation" due to "the mistakes made by others" that began before his company acquired Cafe Express.

Both entities "had no idea these applications were not filed on time until late this summer," Bertini said. "Unfortunately, our hands are tied."

Bertini said Boyar & Miller, which no longer represents the company, was supposed to file the paperwork on time. The firm did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

Wendy's and Cafe Express say the number of immigrants affected statewide is 22 — 16 who were fired, and six who left on their own after hearing the news.

But attorneys for the immigrants estimate that the number is closer to 100, even though only 40 are named in the suits.

"A surgeon leaving a scalpel inside of someone is a direct analogy to missing a filing deadline — you don't do it as a lawyer," said Stanley Broome, whose Dallas-area law firm, Howie, Broome & Bobo, is representing the immigrants.

Attorneys for Olivares said the company deducted $25 from his weekly paycheck of $313.20 for 4 1/2 years to cover legal fees associated with the program. With the rest of his paycheck, Olivares said he helped support his sister, her two daughters and his ill mother in Mexico City.

Olivares said he was risking deportation to speak up for himself and his former co-workers. He said he has not looked for other work because he's afraid of being caught by the authorities.

"I'm not safe anymore," said Olivares, who has been in the country 14 years.

PhilosophyGenius
10-09-2006, 05:29 PM
My trusty bullshit-detector is through the roof with this story.

thumper
10-09-2006, 06:38 PM
no human is illegal

Chana3812
10-10-2006, 11:10 AM
The Real Reason for Immigrant Bashing

US jobs figures reveal slowdown

The US economy added 51,000 jobs last month, far below analyst expectations, in another signal of slowing growth.

The rise in non-farm payrolls was the weakest monthly increase since October 2005, which followed Hurricane Katrina. The US economy has slowed markedly in the second half of the year, and the once red-hot housing market has cooled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5413412.stm

thumper
10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
The Real Reason for Immigrant Bashing

US jobs figures reveal slowdown

The US economy added 51,000 jobs last month, far below analyst expectations, in another signal of slowing growth.

The rise in non-farm payrolls was the weakest monthly increase since October 2005, which followed Hurricane Katrina. The US economy has slowed markedly in the second half of the year, and the once red-hot housing market has cooled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/5413412.stmour economy is being destroyed by the central banks as well.

we've got two destructive dialectics here. Mass third wold immigration, and the subsidized outsourcing of the US economy.

Just because you clearly identify one side as being bad, doesn't automatically make the other side good. Both are bad.

Chana3812
10-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Not calling either side good or bad. But I don't like to see people acting like Ann Coulter either, by criticising entire groups of people, i.e. Muslims, immigrants.

Who will we hate next?

thumper
10-11-2006, 12:52 PM
IMHO Ann Coulter is a provocateur

borepstein
10-11-2006, 01:36 PM
It is not about hate. I greatly sympathize with illegal immigrants, yet I am aware that haveing this "second-class" citizen group can be disastrous for any state - and not just economically.

thumper
10-11-2006, 01:52 PM
the illuminati is causing all of this.

i have an australian friend who can trace his family history to his great-great-grandmother being deported from England because SHE PURPORTEDLY STOLE A HANKY. they have vested interests in creating these push/pull factors to settle other lands, to create chaos, etc.

i believe Albert Pike's letter to Mazzini to be genuine when he says that in the final act their goal is create world wide revolution on EVERY SINGLE FRONT, whether it economical, cultural, religious, immigration, etc.