PDA

View Full Version : 70 years since Jews, Irish & Lefties drove the fascists off the streets of London

Partridge
09-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Day the East End said 'No pasaran' to Blackshirts
The Guardian (http://www.guardian.co.uk/farright/story/0,,1884440,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=1)

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2006/09/29/east192.jpg
Demonstrators flee police during a protest in Cable Street, east London, against a proposed fascist march. Photograph: David Savill/Topical Press Agency/Getty Images

They built barricades from paving stones, timber and overturned lorries. Women threw the contents of chamber pots on to the heads of policemen and children hurled marbles under their horses and burst bags of pepper in front of their noses.Next Wednesday marks the 70th anniversary of the day that Jews, communists, trade unionists, Labour party members, Irish Catholic dockers and the people of the East End of London united in defiance of Sir Oswald Mosley's British Union of Fascists and refused to let them march through their streets.

Shouting the Spanish civil war slogan "No pasaran" - "They shall not pass" - more than 300,000 people turned back an army of Blackshirts. Their victory over racism and anti-Semitism on Sunday October 4 1936 became known as the Battle of Cable Street and encapsulated the British fight against a fascism that was stomping across Europe.Mosley planned to send columns of thousands of goose-stepping men throughout the impoverished East End dressed in uniforms that mimicked those of Hitler's Nazis. His target was the large Jewish community.

The Jewish Board of Deputies advised Jews to stay away. The Jewish Chronicle warned: "Jews are urgently warned to keep away from the route of the Blackshirt march and from their meetings.

"Jews who, however innocently, become involved in any possible disorders will be actively helping anti-Semitism and Jew-baiting. Unless you want to help the Jew baiters, keep away."

The Jews did not keep away. Professor Bill Fishman, now 89, who was 15 on the day, was at Gardner's Corner in Aldgate, the entrance to the East End. "There was masses of marching people. Young people, old people, all shouting 'No Pasaran' and 'One two three four five - we want Mosley, dead or alive'," he said. "It was like a massive army gathering, coming from all the side streets. Mosley was supposed to arrive at lunchtime but the hours were passing and he hadn't come. Between 3pm and 3.30 we could see a big army of Blackshirts marching towards the confluence of Commercial Road and Whitechapel Road.

Marbles

"I pushed myself forward and because I was 6ft I could see Mosley. They were surrounded by an even greater army of police. There was to be this great advance of the police force to get the fascists through. Suddenly, the horses' hooves were flying and the horses were falling down because the young kids were throwing marbles."

Thousands of policemen were sandwiched between the Blackshirts and the anti-fascists. The latter were well organised and through a mole learned that the chief of police had told Mosley that his passage into the East End could be made through Cable Street.

"I heard this loudspeaker say 'They are going to Cable Street'," said Prof Fishman. "Suddenly a barricade was erected there and they put an old lorry in the middle of the road and old mattresses. The people up the top of the flats, mainly Irish Catholic women, were throwing rubbish on to the police. We were all side by side. I was moved to tears to see bearded Jews and Irish Catholic dockers standing up to stop Mosley. I shall never forget that as long as I live, how working-class people could get together to oppose the evil of racism."

Max Levitas, now 91, was a message runner and had already been fined £10 in court for his anti-Mosley activities. Two years before Cable Street, the BUF had called a meeting in Hyde Park and in protest Mr Levitas whitewashed Nelson's column, calling people to the park to drown out the fascists. Mr Levitas went on to become a Communist councillor in Stepney.

"I feel proud that I played a major part in stopping Mosley. When we heard that the march was disbanded, there was a hue and cry and the flags were going wild. They did not pass. The chief of police decided that if the march had taken place there would be death on the road - and there would have been," he said.

"It was a victory for ordinary people against racism and anti-Semitism and it should be instilled in the minds of people today. The Battle of Cable Street is a history lesson for us all. People as people must get together and stop racism and anti-Semitism so people can lead an ordinary life and develop their own ideas and religions."

Beatty Orwell, 89, was scared and excited. "People were fighting and a friend of mine was thrown through a plate glass window."

thumper
09-30-2006, 05:24 PM
you support communism? http://smiliesftw.com/x/ugh2.gif

Chana3812
09-30-2006, 06:37 PM
I'd rather have communism than facism - if those were my choices

thumper
09-30-2006, 06:39 PM
communists killed 10x more people than fascist governments

Partridge
10-01-2006, 07:59 AM
Communists (ie Stalinists, who are not 'communist' in the Marxist sense of the word) never murdered people based solely on their mental capacity/ethnic origin - although Stalin was quite anti-semitic as a person (see his rants against the 'cosmopolitian' Trotsky) and did once deport the entire population of Chechnya.

If I was Jewish, I'd be thinking gimme communism over state sponsored racism any day!

And saying that "communists killed 10x more people than fascist governments" misses out a relevant point.

Fascists were only in power for about an average of 10/15 years (except in Spain and Portugal where the dicatorships lasted from the late 1930s to the mid 1970s). In that relatively short time period they managed to kill about 30 million people in Europe. During Stalin's time in total power (1928ish to 1953) he had about the same death toll. After Stalin's death, repression was nowhere near on the same scale - though it still undoubedtly existed. And of course, there were far more 'communist' (in name) governments than fascist ones, so naturally the death toll will be higher.

But if we're talking death tolls and social systems, undoubtedly the biggest killer has been 'liberal' (in the economic sense of the word) capitalism. And we must not forget that fascism was really just 'capitalism with the gloves off'.

And yes, I'll support 'communists' over fascists any day of the week.

thumper
10-01-2006, 06:13 PM
you forgot the cultural revolution and the "Great Leap Forward" where 60 million Chinese were purposely starved to death, and the countless atrocities in Africa that are led by communist governments.

also, allow me to recommend the Myron Fagan lectures that speaks at length the role of communism and the illuminati.

so-called 'fascism' is merely the catalyst event in problem-reaction-solution.

just like 9/11, as horrific as it was, it simply is no comparison to the 'solution' (i.e. war on terrorism) that they waiting in the wings, such hundreds of thousands dying in Iraq.

http://100777.com/myron