PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Refuses U.S. Army Service

Gold9472
09-27-2006, 09:01 AM
Doctor refuses U.S. Army service

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/northamerica/article_1205397.php/Doctor_refuses_U.S._Army_service

Sep 27, 2006, 7:30 GMT

BOSTON, MA, United States (UPI) -- A federal judge has blocked the U.S. Army from forcing a Boston-area doctor to active duty until her claims of religious objections are considered.

Mary Hanna, an anesthesiologist, agreed to spend four years on active duty and four years in the Reserves in return for tuition at Tufts University School of Medicine. But in December she notified the Army that her religious beliefs had changed and she felt unable to join the Army, the Boston Globe reported.

A review board concluded that her claim was not legitimate, and Hanna was ordered to report to Fort Bliss in Texas. Now, a judge in Texas has scheduled a hearing for Oct. 5 and ruled that the Army cannot call her up until at least Oct. 10.

Hanna said that the death of her father, a former office in the Egyptian military, in 2003 caused her to turn to her religious faith as a Coptic Christian.

'I knew that to live the rest of my life with integrity, in harmony with God`s nature of love and compassion, I could not participate in military service,' she said.