PDA

View Full Version : Chavez Denies Reported U.S. Allegations Of Islamic Terrorist Activity In Venezuela

Gold9472
09-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Chavez denies reported U.S. allegations of Islamic terrorist activity in Venezuela

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/05/america/LA_GEN_Venezuela_US_Terrorism.php

(Gold9472: WHAT?!?)

The Associated Press
Published: September 5, 2006

CARACAS, Venezuela President Hugo Chavez on Tuesday denied accusations attributed to a U.S. military officer that a popular tourist destination off Venezuela's coast has become a refuge for Islamic terrorists.

Chavez referred in a televised speech to a recent article in the Colombian magazine Revista Poder, which quoted Gen. Bantz J. Craddock of the U.S. Southern Command as saying there were indications of "extremist contacts" on Margarita Island, a popular beach getaway northeast of Caracas.

Chavez denied such terrorist activity and called the comments part of a U.S. plan "to justify any type of aggression against our country."

Calling Craddock an "imperialist general," Chavez said, "it's a lie that in Margarita there are Arab terrorists and that Margarita and Venezuela are a nest of Arab terrorism."

Craddock, like other Washington officials, has previously referred to Chavez's government as a "destabilizing" force in the region and criticized Venezuela's recent arms purchases.

Chavez, a close ally of Cuban leader Fidel Castro and sharp U.S. critic, accuses Washington of harboring plans to undermine his government, which U.S. officials deny.

Eckolaker
09-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Totally not suprising at all!

Im actually more suprised this didnt happen sooner. I guess those of us "in the know" almost laugh at this and say to ourselves "how obvious can they be?"

Gold9472
09-07-2006, 11:41 AM
Did you ever watch, "The Revolution Will Not Be Televised?"

I HIGHLY recommend it. I think it deserves an Oscar.

And yes, I saw the "Anti-The Revolution Will Not Be Televised", and thought it was bullshit.