PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Harris: Not Electing Christians Is Legistlating Sin

PhilosophyGenius
08-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Katherine Harris: Separation of church and state 'a lie'

"...if you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," she says in interview.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-825katherineharris,0,1517040.story?coll=sfla-home-utility&track=mostemailedlink

By Jim Stratton
Orlando Sentinel
Posted August 25 2006, 11:30 AM EDT

U.S. Rep. Katherine Harris said this week that the separation of church state is "a lie," that God did not intend for the United States to be a "nation of secular laws" and that a failure to elect Christians to political office will allow lawmaking bodies to "legislate sin."

In an interview with the Florida Baptist Witness, the weekly journal of the Florida Baptist State Convention, Harris described her faith, saying it animates "everything I do," including her votes in Congress.

She warned that if voters do not send Christians to office, they risk creating a government that is doomed to fail.

"If you are not electing Christians, tried and true, under public scrutiny and pressure, if you're not electing Christians, then in essence you are going to legislate sin," she told interviewers, citing abortion and gay marriage as two examples of that sin.

Doing so, she said, "will take western civilization, indeed other nations because people look to our country as one nation as under God and whenever we legislate sin and we say abortion is permissible and we say gay unions are permissible, then average citizens who are not Christians, because they don't know better, we are leading them astray and it's wrong..."

Harris said that Americans "have internalized" the "lie" that church and state must not be mixed. In reality, she said, "we have to have the faithful in government" because that is God's will.

Separating religion and politics is "so wrong because God is the one who chooses our rulers," Harris said. "And if we are the ones not actively involved in electing those godly men and women," then "we're going to have a nation of secular laws. That's not what our founding fathers intended and that's (sic) certainly isn't what God intended."

Harris, a Republican from Longboat Key, is running against Orlando attorney Will McBride, retired Adm. LeRoy Collins and developer Peter Monroe in the GOP Senate primary. McBride and Collins also did interviews with Florida Baptist Witness. Monroe did not.

Both Collins and McBride, a lay minister and son of a pastor, say their faith is an important part of their lives, but Harris' responses most directly tie her role as a policy maker to her religious beliefs

</FONT>

Partridge
08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Meanwhile... In a dark corner of Heaven, God cringes.

PhilosophyGenius
08-27-2006, 05:50 PM
Word.

Cloak & Swagger
08-27-2006, 06:12 PM
I don't mean to sound like a forum nazi, but this was already posted (http://www.yourbbsucks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12246)

PhilosophyGenius
08-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Oh, sorry.

Cloak & Swagger
08-27-2006, 06:28 PM
You will now have to issue a public apology to me in a thread dedicated to my name.
Afterwhich, the good lord shall forgive you of this sin you've committed.

Chana3812
08-27-2006, 06:59 PM
New Story should read --

Katherine Harris commits political suicide yet again.

How many lives does this Old Pussy have????

AuGmENTor
08-27-2006, 07:05 PM
New Story should read --

Katherine Harris commits political suicide yet again.

How many lives does this Old Pussy have????Wow, you are some kind of raw, aintya girl? Someone should start a new thread (poll form) on abortion. I'm curious to see what you guys think of that little nugget. But then I'd have to move the cursor way over there, and I'm just too lazy...

beltman713
08-27-2006, 07:21 PM
The dumbass thinks if she appeals to the far right Christian crowd, that will be enough to get her elected. I think she pretty much knows everyone else will be voting against her.

Chana3812
08-27-2006, 11:23 PM
She's the dumbest broad ever in politics. Actually, she would make a good soap opera actress. Hollywood is her calling, not Congress. :girlsgone