PDA

View Full Version : Military Recruiters Turn To Strong-Arm Tactics

Gold9472
08-15-2006, 11:14 AM
Military recruiters turn to strong-arm tactics

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060815/NEWS07/608150355/1009

August 15, 2006

WASHINGTON -- Military recruiters have increasingly resorted to overly aggressive tactics and criminal activity to attract young troops to the battlefield, congressional investigators say.

Combat conditions in Iraq, a decent job market and tough monthly recruiting goals have made recruiters' jobs more difficult, the Government Accountability Office said Monday.

According to data provided to the GAO, substantiated cases of wrongdoing jumped from about 400 cases in 2004 to almost 630 in 2005. Criminal cases -- such as sexual harassment or falsifying medical records -- more than doubled in those years, jumping from 30 incidents to 70.

But the report warned that reports of misconduct are likely too low because the armed services don't track such cases and many incidents go unreported.

The Defense Department is not "in a sound position to assure the general public that it knows the full extent to which recruiter irregularities are occurring," the GAO found.

The military has about 14,000 recruiters on staff, and each of them is required to enlist two applicants a month.

More than half the recruiting crimes reported in 2005 were by the Army. The Army said last week that it is on track to meet this year's recruiting goal of 80,000 applicants following a severe shortage last year.

In a letter to the GAO included in the report, the Defense Department said it agreed the services must establish an internal system to track reports of recruiter wrongdoing.

PhilosophyGenius
08-15-2006, 04:22 PM
This one dude from the military showed up and acted like he fucking knew me. I just came out of the shower and my mom says my friends here, that someone was knocking on the garage door asking for me. When I went outside he asked me if I still went to my college and if I wanted to join the marines. I basically told him no and gestured my arms for him to go away.

AuGmENTor
08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
They're like vultures here too. I always have lots of fun harassing them when they have tables set up at the mall. I look a bit younger than my age, and they alwyas try to get me. Hell, I look like I'm in now kinda, since I chopped off my flaxen locks. And I always start off nice and quiet and polite. And gradually build up to almost shouting how I had my dose of depleted uranium in 91, and how bad the food sux, and how the gays chase you everywhere (they don't really, it's just funny to say). ANd all the young potentials at the table look like they're rethinkin things, and the recruiters look fuckin horrified.

PhilosophyGenius
08-15-2006, 10:38 PM
Nice. I got no problem with them setting booths up or whatever, just as long they dont knock on my door harrassing me.

AuGmENTor
08-16-2006, 05:54 AM
Well they do that too. (knock on door/call). They must have me on file, so they don't call or show up. (I'm under "N" for "nutjob") My brother is 19, and they DO call him at least once a month. He fucks with them mercilessley*. They told him they don't have a do not call list for people of age that can serve. He told them who I was, and that he is my full time caretaker (he's not weisenheimers) and he has to go now to get me out of a tree. Also tells them he's a double amputee from a homemade landmine. Yet they keep calling him. I told him to record this shit cause it's really funny to listen to.

Tonya
08-18-2006, 12:25 AM
I have recently received quite a bit junk mail trying to get me to join the Army. Two times now i have received a fancy, glossy package with a DVD. I just tossed it with the other junk mail. I live right across the street from campus and I know they must be hitting us all up. They are definatley trying to entice us with offers to pay off our student loans. But none of that is new. I just noticed that they are really pouring a lot of money into the DVDs and their mail outs.

AuGmENTor
08-18-2006, 06:13 AM
I have recently received quite a bit junk mail trying to get me to join the Army. Two times now i have received a fancy, glossy package with a DVD. I just tossed it with the other junk mail. I live right across the street from campus and I know they must be hitting us all up. They are definatley trying to entice us with offers to pay off our student loans. But none of that is new. I just noticed that they are really pouring a lot of money into the DVDs and their mail outs.

They're pouring alot more of OUR money into their mailers. (Well, not mine though. I don't pay taxes...) Come get me bitches. I pays sales and excise taxes, the only ones that are legal.

Tonya
08-18-2006, 10:44 AM
The tax thing---that is my next big change! AND I will get my father and uncle on board too.