PDA

View Full Version : Mel Gibson apologizes for DUI arrest

beltman713
07-29-2006, 07:35 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_on_en_mo/people_gibson;_ylt=ApcE.FujlkIFN_49q6KsTVJI2ocA;_y lu=X3oDMTA5aHJvMDdwBHNlYwN5bmNhdA--

Mel Gibson apologizes for DUI arrest

By SANDY COHEN, AP Entertainment Writer
27 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES -
Mel Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life.

The actor and "The Passion of the Christ" director also apologized for what he said were "despicable" statements he made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," he said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

He said he was taking "necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond Gibson's statement, and sheriff's Sgt. Rich Erickson declined to respond, saying the case was still under investigation.

Gibson, 50, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said deputies clocked him doing 87 mph in a 45 mph zone.

A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

The actor-director posted $5,000 bail and was released at 9:45 a.m.

Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

Nierob and sheriff's officials declined to discuss what Gibson said.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart" and had a 2004 religious blockbuster with "The Passion of the Christ." He also starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, "What Women Want" and "The Man Without a Face," among other movies.

beltman713
07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Typical dodge - "It wasn't me, it was the booze. I'm sick and I'm going to get help."

Gold9472
07-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Yep.