View Full Version : Controversial UW Professor To Lead 9/11 Theories Lecture

Gold9472
07-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Controversial UW professor to lead 9/11 theories lecture

http://www.gazetteextra.com/barrettlecture072506.asp

By Mike Heine
Gazette Staff
7/26/2006

DARIEN TOWNSHIP-The Silver Moon Center will be the site for a "rational discussion" Sunday about theories surrounding the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and The Pentagon.

Controversial UW-Madison lecturer Kevin Barrett is the main speaker. Barrett feels part of the U.S. government could be behind the attacks.

"After studying evidence after two and a half years, I am convinced that 9/11 was an inside job," he said in a recent interview on Fox News.

Barrett told The Janesville Gazette he thinks the attacks were contrived to keep the United States a military superpower, a feat possible only through war.

Barrett said materials found in the rubble of the World Trade Center collapse indicate explosives were used to bring down the towers. Other evidence also points to a conspiracy, Barrett says.

Barrett came under fire by state legislators recently for allowing the study of such theories in a UW folklore class. Several legislators, including Rep. Steve Nass, R-La Grange, have called for his termination.

This fall, Barrett is slated to teach a class, "Islam: Religion and Culture," which will include a week of instruction comparing official accounts and conspiracy ideas about what started the war on terrorism.

Event host and Silver Moon owner Glenn Davis said Sunday's discussion will be an open debate about the theories over the attacks in New York and Washington, D.C.

"We will not be here to talk about Kevin and his job. We will be here to talk about his views," Davis said. "It will be a rational discussion. This is what we want it to be-what we know and what we don't know (about 9/11). I think any sane individual can live with that parameter."

Davis acknowledged the possibility that the free discussion might lure people who want to protest, but anyone who "throws mud bricks" will be asked to leave.

Nass has made Barrett's views a hot topic in Madison. He collected signatures of 61 legislators-52 Assembly members and nine from the senate-who call for Barrett's removal by the UW system. On Monday, Nass delivered a letter to Gov. Jim Doyle with his legislative resolution and 61 signatures attached. Nass thinks Sunday's session will only offer entertainment.

"That's what this has turned into, now. The more he is out on the talk show circuit, the more people see how far he is in left field," Nass said.

Barrett is unable to substantiate any of his claims and never backs up anything with fact, Nass said. Barrett disagreed and invited Nass to the event.

"Nass's position is that I'm making all this up, not citing evidence and am being academically dishonest," Barrett said. "I've read dozens of books, hundreds of articles, edited scholarly book on this."