PDA

View Full Version : Lawyer: Zarqawi successor 'in Egypt jail'

Partridge
07-06-2006, 04:21 PM
Zarqawi successor 'in Egypt jail'
Al Jazeera (http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/A924A436-D330-42C8-83C3-FEAF91E6B326.htm)

Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, the purported successor of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi as leader of al-Qaeda in Iraq, is in an Egyptian prison and not Iraq, a lawyer has claimed.

Egyptian newspaper Al-Masri al-Yawm has quoted Mamduh Ismail as saying he met al-Muhajir, also known as Sharif Hazaa, or Abu Ayub al-Masri, in Tura prison in Cairo, where he has been held for seven years.

"Sharif Hazaa [al-Muhajir] is in Tura prison, and I met him two days ago while I was visiting some of my clients," Ismail, a lawyer known for defending Islamist groups, told the newspaper.

Al-Muhajir is on the "most wanted" list issued by the Iraqi government last week. The US military in Iraq has put a $5million price on his head.

The US army media centre in Iraq said: "We cannot comment on the news that ... al-Masri is in an Egyptian prison and not in Iraq, we have to clarify that from the Egyptian government."

The US military had announced after the death of al-Zarqawi that al-Masri had been appointed the leader of al-Qaeda's organisation in Iraq.

The military said al-Masri was born and brought up in Egypt. He then went to Afghanistan, where he trained in bomb-making before going to Iraq in 2002.

PhilosophyGenius
07-06-2006, 04:37 PM
Geez, get a grip man. Your making it seem like he can't lead the most feared and vicious group in Iraq from his prison cell in Egypt. And if you saying he isn't the leader, al-qaeda in Iraq and the govnt already said so.

Partridge
07-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Well if BOTH of them say so, then it must be true. My bad.

*hangs head in shame*

PhilosophyGenius
07-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Just make sure it doesn't happen again.

:vl: