PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine To Return Service Medal To Bush In Protest

Gold9472
07-05-2006, 01:02 PM
Local Marine To Return Service Medal To Bush In Protest
3/25 Marine Calls War On Terrorism Medal 'Eye Candy' From Bush

http://www.newsnet5.com/akroncanton/9462624/detail.html

POSTED: 12:41 pm EDT July 3, 2006

AKRON, Ohio -- A local Marine who service in Iraq earned several medals for serving his country, but he's giving back one of the medals to the White House as a form of protest.

Sgt. Matthew Bee is a decorated Akron Marine who spent seven months in Hadeetha, serving with the 3rd Battalion 25th Marines Weapons Company based in Brook Park.

Bee received six medals of commendation, but one of them he will give back to President George W. Bush, calling the medal political, NewsChannel5 reported.

The medal is the War on Terrorism service medal, and Bee calls it "eye candy" from Bush.

"So, he took something noble and honorable and made it kind of dirty. And I always thought that medal was the one he pinned on us and said, 'This is my war. This is my stamp in history,'" said Bee.

Bee said he is not anti-war, but rather pro-peace. He plans to travel to Washington, D.C., with a small group of Marines who feel the same way he does. They will all try to return their War on Terrorism medal to Bush personally or to members of Congress.