PDA

View Full Version : Latest Story of Bush-World Run Amok

Good Doctor HST
03-30-2005, 07:09 PM
From The Washington Post:

The latest incident of audience screening at President Bush's public events is making quite a splash in the media today.

Three people at a Bush event in Denver last week were told by a man dressed like a Secret Service agent that they were being ejected because someone spotted a "No Blood for Oil" bumper sticker on their car in the parking lot.
Press secretary Scott McClellan, in yesterday's press briefing (http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2005/03/20050329-1.html), was asked about the incident.

But rather than express any condemnation -- or remorse -- McClellan chose to make an assertion that is not supported by the facts: "We welcome a diversity of views at the events," he said.

In reality, ticket distribution at Bush's Social Security events has been almost exclusively controlled by Republican officials, the audiences are sometimes stocked with supporters bused in by conservative groups, and I don't believe a single one of the carefully groomed panelists on stage has ever said anything remotely critical of the president or his deeply unpopular Social Security proposals.

Asked if he was concerned that the president is not hearing a lot of different viewpoints in these conversations, McClellan then made this bizarre assertion: "I think the President hears a lot of different viewpoints every day, when we follow the news. I mean, there's plenty of viewpoints being expressed on this issue."

But there's a difference between Bush ostensibly reading about dissent and hearing it himself -- not to mention responding to it in public -- not to mention banning people who don't agree with him from public events.

The White House calls these events "conversations." Typically, in conversations, the value comes from genuine back and forth. Certainly, the public would benefit from hearing Bush respond to criticism of his Social Security proposals.

But McClellan also made it clear that the true purpose of Bush's events is not to get a lot of backtalk. "Obviously, the conversations that the President is participating in are designed to educate the American people about the problems facing our Social Security system, the problems that are facing it for our children and grandchildren. And so it's part of an educational effort. I think that there's plenty of people out there talking about the other side of the issue, and you see those people talking about it on a daily basis."

Later, McClellan told The Washington Post that it was neither the Secret Service nor a White House aide, but a volunteer who asked the three to leave "out of concern they might try to disrupt the event." The White House also blamed a volunteer for a similar incident in North Dakota last month.

But the energetic screening of dissenters has become an established pattern for Bush events. It started during the campaign, when the events were private and paid for with campaign funds. And it continues to this day, even though the events are now paid for with taxpayer funds.

Will Bush truly welcome a diversity of views to his public events from now on?

Not with his aides, on his behalf, defending the status quo.

Gold9472
03-30-2005, 07:47 PM
Doesn't this interfere with the "Freedom Of Speech"?

Hmmm... I want to say something to the President, but I'm not allowed to...

That doesn't sound like "Freedom Of Speech" to me.

Gold9472
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
BTW... I like "Bush World"... reminds me of "Wally World"...

danceyogamom
03-30-2005, 11:15 PM
I can't imagine actually wanting to go to one of those "conversations" in the first place ... seems like an exercise in torture.

But I agree it is completely wrong to blackout any dissenting views or alternate voices.

makes it much more like a lecture one would have to sit through in high school as opposed to a conversation.

Good Doctor HST
04-02-2005, 02:02 PM
George Orwell.... Welcome to your nightmare.....

http://www.zmag.org/cartoons/toons//2003.jpg