PDA

View Full Version : Labs Compete To Make Nuclear Bomb

Gold9472
06-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Labs compete to make new nuclear bomb

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/nuclear_bomb_competition

(Gold9472: In November 1954 (http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm), five months before his death, Einstein summarized his feelings about his role in the creation of the atomic bomb: "I made one great mistake in my life... when I signed the letter to President Roosevelt recommending that atom bombs be made; but there was some justification - the danger that the Germans would make them."

Imagine how Einstein would feel today knowing that scientists are "working around the clock on plans" in order to win the contract, and the Government they're doing it for, is currently under a fascist regime.)

Tue Jun 13, 8:49 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - The Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in the San Francisco Bay area and the Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico are competing to design the nation's first new nuclear bomb in two decades.

Scientists at both facilities are working around the clock on plans that will be presented to the Nuclear Weapons Council, a federal panel that oversees the nation's nuclear weapons. The council will choose a winner later this year.

"I have had people working nights and weekends," said Joseph Martz, the head of the Los Alamos design team. "I have to tell them to go home. I can't keep them out of the office."

Congress approved the new bomb, known as the reliable replacement warhead, with bipartisan support in 2005 as part of a defense spending bill. The weapon would, by law, have the same explosive power as existing warheads.

Proponents of the project say the U.S. would lose its so-called "strategic deterrent" unless it replaces its aging arsenal of about 6,000 bombs, which will become potentially unreliable within 15 years. A new, more reliable weapon, they say, would help the nation reduce its stockpile.

Critics say the project could trigger a new arms race with Russia and China, and undercut arguments that countries such as

Iran and North Korea must stop their nuclear programs.

The United States and Russia signed a treaty in 2002 calling for the countries to each cut nuclear inventories to between 1,700 and 2,200 warheads by 2012.

PhilosophyGenius
06-14-2006, 11:04 PM
(Gold9472: In November 1954 (http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm), five months before his death, Einstein summarized his feelings about his role in the creation of the atomic bomb: "I made one great mistake in my life... when I signed the letter to President Roosevelt recommending that atom bombs be made; but there was some justification - the danger that the Germans would make them."

Imagine how Einstein would feel today knowing that scientists are "working around the clock on plans" in order to win the contract, and the Government they're doing it for, is currently under a fascist regime.)

I think if Einstein were alive today he'd defintely regret helping build the nuke- no exeptions. Because in hindsight, the Germans weren't as close to getting the big one as people thought, the big one definetly didn't help in defeating the Germans (Japan is a different story). And like you said, America is under fascist control and countries all over the world have 'em.

But I definetly understand why a humain guy like Einstein would help approve of building the nuke cuz of the circumstances. Right now if there was a power conquering half the world I'd be pretty damn scared.