PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia "English-only" Eatery Faces Probe

PhilosophyGenius
06-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Philadelphia "English-only" eatery faces probe
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060612/us_nm/life_english_dc_3

By Jon Hurdle

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters) - A civil rights watchdog agency opened an investigation on Monday into a Philadelphia cheese steak restaurant that posted a sign saying "This is America - when ordering, speak English."

The Philadelphia Commission on Human Relations complaint effectively opens a case against Geno's Steaks of South Philadelphia, said Rachel Lawton, acting executive director of the agency.

The Philadelphia controversy has fed a national debate over immigration in which the U.S. Senate passed a bill that would declare English the national language and politicians have raised objections to a Spanish version of the national anthem.

The sign may violate the city's Fair Practices Ordinance, which bans businesses from discriminating on the basis of nationality or ethnicity, Lawton said.

"The complaint will say that the sign discourages patronage by non-English speakers because of their national origin and/or ancestry," Lawton, whose agency enforces the city's anti-discrimination laws, said before the official filing.

Geno's will be given up to two weeks to respond and, if the agency determines the sign has violated the city ordinance, will be ordered to take the sign down. If the restaurant refuses, it will be subject to a $300 fine, Lawton said.

Geno's owner Joey Vento, the grandson of Italian immigrants, said he has no plans to remove the sign.

"I don't see why I should have to. It's freedom of speech," said Vento, 66, who opened the restaurant 40 years ago.

He said no one is refused service and no one is discriminated against. The sign, which has been displayed for about six months, is meant to encourage immigrants to learn English, he said.

"If you don't speak English, the sign means nothing," he told Reuters.

The restaurant, in a historically Italian neighborhood that seen an influx of Central American immigrants, has angered Latino groups.

Roberto Santiago, executive director of the city's Council of Spanish Speaking Organizations, said he received around 50 "hate" e-mails in response to his criticism of the sign.

One from California said groups like his should be banned for representing "filthy, illegal alien invaders," he said.

"This is dividing this nation," he said. "I'm really saddened by these individuals who are upset by having to be tolerant. I'm glad I'm living in an America where comments like Mr. Vento's are out of order."

thumper
06-14-2006, 05:59 PM
private business ftw