PDA

View Full Version : Venezuela To Campaign For U.N. Security Council Seat Despite U.S. Objections

Gold9472
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Venezuela to campaign for UN Security Council seat despite U.S. objections

http://english.people.com.cn/200606/12/eng20060612_273219.html

6/13/2006

Venezuela will not withdraw its bid for a seat in the United Nations Security Council, despite objections from the United States, President Hugo Chavez said on Sunday.

"This election will be in October. Venezuela is a candidate and it will not withdraw," Chavez said on his weekly television and radio show "Alo Presidente."

Speaking from the state of Portuguesa in western Venezuela, Chavez said: "I wish to thank our great friend, the deputy foreign minister of Syria for the great support he has shown for the Venezuelan candidacy." Brazil had also voiced support, he said.

"The U.S. government has begun a worldwide campaign against Venezuela, trying to prevent us from being elected democratically to a place on the Security Council," Chavez said.

The "powerful" campaign is a "psychological war of pressure and blackmail directed to the world's governments," aimed at preventing the choice of a government that the United States does not like, Chavez said.

Venezuela would fight "the most brutal imperialism" to achieve its goal of a Security Council seat, he said.

"We are going to fight with all the weapons we have," he said. "Let the empire... pressure all the world's governments. We trust in their courage and dignity."

PhilosophyGenius
06-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I hope they win and give Bush a big headache.

AuGmENTor
06-13-2006, 05:36 PM
I second that!