PDA

View Full Version : Has The Da Vinci Code Offended You?

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Cardinal urges legal action against Da Vinci Code

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060507/ts_nm/vatican_davinci_dc

By Philip Pullella Sun May 7, 10:13 AM ET

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - In the latest Vatican broadside against "The Da Vinci Code," a leading cardinal says Christians should respond to the book and film with legal action because both offend Christ and the Church he founded.

Cardinal Francis Arinze, a Nigerian who was considered a candidate for pope last year, made his strong comments in a documentary called "The Da Vinci Code-A Masterful Deception."

Arinze's appeal came some 10 days after another Vatican cardinal called for a boycott of the film. Both cardinals asserted that other religions would never stand for offences against their beliefs and that Christians should get tough.

"Christians must not just sit back and say it is enough for us to forgive and to forget," Arinze said in the documentary made by Rome film maker Mario Biasetti for Rome Reports, a Catholic film agency specializing in religious affairs.

"Sometimes it is our duty to do something practical. So it is not I who will tell all Christians what to do but some know legal means which can be taken in order to get the other person to respect the rights of others," Arinze said.

"This is one of the fundamental human rights: that we should be respected, our religious beliefs respected, and our founder Jesus Christ respected," he said, without elaborating on what legal means he had in mind.

A transcript of the documentary, due to be screened in Rome later this month just before the release of the film version of the best-selling book at the Cannes Film Festival, was made available to Reuters.

The book, written by Dan Brown, has sold more than 40 million copies.

The novel is an international murder mystery centered on attempts to uncover a secret about the life of Christ that a clandestine society has tried to protect for centuries.

The central tenet of the book is that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and had children.

BLASPHEMY
"Those who blaspheme Christ and get away with it are exploiting the Christian readiness to forgive and to love even those who insult us. There are some other religions which if you insult their founder they will not be just talking. They will make it painfully clear to you," Arinze said.

This appeared to be a reference to protests by Muslims around the world over cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.

Last month, another broadside against "The Da Vinci Code" was launched by Archbishop Angelo Amato, the number two official in the Vatican doctrinal office which was headed by Pope Benedict until his election last year.

Amato urged a boycott of the film and Arinze, like his fellow cardinal, also blasted the credibility of the book.

"'The Da Vinci Code' presents (Christianity) wrongly ... any film produced on the basis of that book is already in error from the word go, no matter how interesting it might appear," Arinze said.

Catholic group Opus Dei has told Sony Pictures that putting a disclaimer on the movie stressing it is a work of fiction would be a welcome show of respect toward the Church.

In the novel and film, Opus Dei is characterized as the latest in a series of secretive groups that worked over the centuries to obscure truths about Jesus Christ.

Opus Dei is a controversial conservative Church group whose members are mostly non-clerics and are urged to seek holiness in their everyday professional jobs and lives. It has rejected criticisms that it is secretive and elitist.

The movie, which is being released by Sony Pictures division Columbia Pictures, stars Tom Hanks. Sony Pictures is the media wing of Japanese electronics giant Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news).

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:37 PM
To me, it makes sense that Jesus might have had a baby. We're talking about 2000 years ago where it was the custom of the jews to marry and have babies. Be fruitful and multiply.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 09:38 PM
Your poll doesn't have enough options.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 09:39 PM
I know the local churches are going nuts over this book, and movie.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:40 PM
I added two more.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Thank You.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Well yea, I think the Vatican should mind its' own business. If they feel threatened, then why is that?

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:46 PM
We know the book has flaws and fictions in it. We're not stupid. However, why does the idea bother you regarding Jesus having a wife?

beltman713
05-07-2006, 09:49 PM
They are putting billboards up all over the place. One said, "The Divinity Code" "Find Out The Real Truth About Jesus."

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:56 PM
I saw a billboard that said, 6+6+6=6/6/2006

What the fuck does that mean. That's ALL it said.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 09:57 PM
We all know the end of the world is going to be on 6/1/2006.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:05 PM
We all know the end of the world is going to be on 6/1/2006.
Shit! I've got less time than I thought.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:08 PM
Shit! I've got less time than I thought.

Meh, what can ya do? :coffee:

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:34 PM
I just thought of something, 6/6/06. What important thing happened on that date, in a different year, of course?

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:35 PM
I just thought of something, 6/6/06. What important thing happened on that date, in a different year, of course?

You got me. Was it the end of the world?

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:36 PM
D-day. WWII.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:37 PM
D-day. WWII.

Oh yeah. What's happened on 6/1?

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
Nothing that I know of.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:38 PM
June 1st in History
1952: East Germany closes its links with West
1958: General De Gaulle named the premier of France
1973: Greece becomes a republic, scrapping its monarchy

June 1st birthdays
1926: Andy Griffith, American film and television actor
1926: Marilyn Monroe, American film actress
1937: Morgan Freeman, American film actor ('Driving Miss Daisy')

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm gonna reach here. Maybe Bush wants a D-Day in the "War on Terror". Attack Iran on 6/6/06. He already thinks we're in WWIII.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:41 PM
1968: Helen Keller dies

American educator Helen Keller dies at the age of 87. In infancy, scarlet fever left her blind, deaf, and mute. Her parents appealed to the inventor Alexander Graham Bell for help, and he referred them to a semi-blind teacher, Anne Sullivan, who taught Helen to communicate by touch. She later learned how to read by the Braille system and, in one month in 1890, how to speak. She graduated cum laude from Radcliffe College and gained international recognition as a writer, teacher, and lecturer. Her lecture tours took her several times around the world, and she did much to remove the stigmas and ignorance surrounding sight and hearing disorders, which historically resulted in the committal of the blind and deaf in asylums.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair apologises to the people of Ireland for British actions during the Potato Famine 150 years earlier.

British jockey Willie Carson wins his fourth Derby at Epsom riding 7-2 favourite Erhaab.

Urban terrorist group leader Andreas Baader is captured after a gun battle with police and troops.

Britain and Iceland sign a formal end to the 'Cod War' over fishing rights in the North Sea.

British group The Beatles release their Sergeant Pepper Album.

Britain introduces the Clean Air Act, affects industry as well as domestic uses of energy.

In Britain, the computer ERNIE draws the first Premium Bond prizes - first prize £1,000

In London, the first ever Mr Universe contest.

Britain introduces television licences. The cost: £2 each.

99 sailors are lost with the sinking of British submarine HMS Thetis.

First appearance of Superman in an American comic.

Britain introduces the compulsory wearing of 'L' plates for learner drivers.

Eruption of Mount Vesuvius in south eastern Italy, overlooking the Bay of Naples. Lava from the earliest recorded eruption, 79AD, buried several Roman cities including Pompeii.

World War I: the first German Zeppelin airship bombing raid on London.

Britain's first electric trolley buses begin operating in the Yorkshire cities of Leeds and Bradford

Tennessee becomes the 16th state of the America Union.

Kentucky becomes the 15th state of the United States of America.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:42 PM
First appearance of Superman in an American comic.

Cool.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Have you read about Bush's admiration of Margret Thatcher and Winston Churchill? About how he wanted to be a war president even before he was president.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:47 PM
I remember something like that.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Bush has to go down in history, in his own mind, just like those leaders did. A war president, and Iran is going to be his D-Day, 6/6/06.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Bush has to go down in history, in his own mind, just like those leaders did. A war president, and Iran is going to be his D-Day, 6/6/06.

Nah... 6/1/06.

beltman713
05-07-2006, 10:57 PM
What the original date for D-Day? I remember they had to postpone it because of the weather.

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 10:58 PM
What the original date for D-Day? I remember they had to postpone it because of the weather.

I thought the original one was supposed to be postponed, but they went ahead with it anyway?

beltman713
05-07-2006, 11:03 PM
From what I found on Google, it was may 31st, 1944.

Partridge
05-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Dudes, dudes, you have it all wrong. You're using US type dating, when we all know that the European dating system is superior (else we Europeans wouldn't use it, right?).

So using Euro-dating, we find out that 6/1/06 is in fact the 6th of January 2006 - and the WORLD HAS IN FACT ALREADY ENDED!

Everything else is illusion.

PhilosophyGenius
05-08-2006, 02:13 PM
Either way there's gonna be war with Iran, possibly another Cold War esq type situation, and somewhere in that mix the nuclear bomb is gonna be used.

PhilosophyGenius
01-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Never read the book but great movie. Too dark though. Couldn't see shit.

Good Doctor HST
01-27-2007, 12:07 AM
I just watched the movie last night for the first time. Read the book about a year ago. Both tell a great story. Don't how much of it is true or not.... to me, I guess it makes more sense for a man to marry someone, live a great life, and die than for the same man to be the son of the universe's creator who brings someone back to life (Lazarus), heals lepers, feeds thousands of followers with a couple fish and loaves of bread, and dies and comes back to life 3 days later. But that's just me.

Anyways.... a thought-provoking film and novel just the same.

AuGmENTor
01-27-2007, 12:20 AM
for the same man to be the son of the universe's creator who brings someone back to life (Lazarus), heals lepers, feeds thousands of followers with a couple fish and loaves of bread, and dies and comes back to life 3 days later. But that's just me.
And what ever happened to jesus, anyway? What did he do after he came out of that cave? Go on Leno? Really, how old was he when he just plain old died? I guess it comes down to what have you done for us lately. The world is getting shittier and shittier, with very little left that DOESN'T seem like it's goin right down the toilet. But all silent up in heaven. Alot of the vauge predictions in the bible SEEM to be coming true. But what about the clear ones. When a square mile of locusts swarm egypt (or DC or ANWHERE, for that matter). When Israel suffers a MAJOR attack, and suffers no losses, or when the desert there blooms: Then I will give this some more thought. until then, I think it's what WE do to make a difference.

PhilosophyGenius
01-27-2007, 02:45 AM
I just watched the movie last night for the first time. Read the book about a year ago. Both tell a great story. Don't how much of it is true or not.... to me, I guess it makes more sense for a man to marry someone, live a great life, and die than for the same man to be the son of the universe's creator who brings someone back to life (Lazarus), heals lepers, feeds thousands of followers with a couple fish and loaves of bread, and dies and comes back to life 3 days later. But that's just me.

Anyways.... a thought-provoking film and novel just the same.

The movie made a convincing case but I don't remember all it's sourcing. What I do know is that there are a bunch of written documents that were purposly not put in the bible to make the church's influence stronger and to put women in a lower position; that and many were lost.