View Full Version : SpringValley To Screen Controversial 9/11 Film

Gold9472
05-07-2006, 11:45 AM
SpringValley to screen controversial Sept. 11 film

http://www.newstrib.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&ArticleID=20364&SubSectionID=207

By Allison Ryan
svreporter@newstrib.com
5/8/2006

It’s been more than four years, but Brian Lyle knows the events of Sept. 1, 2001, still are changing the world.

Yet, he says, people don’t wonder enough about the chain of events that led to the USA Patriot Act and the conflicts in the Middle East, and hopes a movie can make a difference.

Lyle will present the controversial film “Sept. 11th Revisited” at 5:30 p.m. May 16 in Spring Valley library.

The Spring Valley resident is wary of being labeled “unpatriotic” or “crazy,” and given the explosion of conspiracy theories and their reception, he may well have reason for concern.

“I want to make it clear that I’m not trying to push a point of view on anybody,” Lyle said.

The 50-minute PG-13 film features speeches by academics and includes footage shot on Sept. 11, 2001 and “never replayed again on television … until now,” according to a promotion on the film’s Web site.

Calling themselves “Scholars for Truth 9/11,” these academics tour the country giving speeches and collecting signatures on a petition calling for Congress to release more information. They believe the government not only allowed the tragedy but may have coordinated the destruction of the World Trade Center towers.

Lyle, on the other hand, hesitates to make such assertions.

While he finds the academic arguments impressive — especially the reports by founder Brigham Young physics professor Steven Jones — he thinks the scholars’ most important work is in questioning the government’s assertions.

“Do I realize a lot of this stuff could be photo-shopped? Sure, but I’m not about that. I’m about the questions that these scholars ask,” Lyle said.

“I just felt, if I have this information in my hands, that I should share it with others, let them decide,” Lyle said.

Lyle said he has approached several local libraries, including La Salle and Peru, and Spring Valley was the first to respond.

“A librarian is always the first one that’s going to support freedom of expression, freedom of speech,” he said.

Debb Ladgenski, library board secretary, confirmed Lyle’s faith in the public library. She said the library did not endorse the film or Lyle’s opinions but allows private individuals to hold events in the library’s conference room.

“If it’s available, it’s free for public use,” said Ladgenski, who, though skeptical of the film’s arguments, said it is not outwardly offensive.

“It’s controversial in that it’s questioning a lot of 9/11 authorities,” Ladgenski said.

Lyle has also passed out copies to friends and coworkers and has found many like-minded people. After the screening, he expects to hear from more residents who are upset by the idea of such a documentary being made. Lyle has one thing to say to such people:

“Watch it. It’s a movie. How much can it really affect you if your mind’s already made up?” he asked.

AuGmENTor
08-30-2006, 12:29 AM
Spring Valley NY? Wow I'm close to there if that's where it is....